how to receive email from different domain on our Exchange (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Message Routing

ely123 -> how to receive email from different domain on our Exchange (17.Jul.2009 3:43:29 PM)

We (company A) are about ready to merge with a larger company (Company B) but do NOT want to join their domain or forest.

We will, however, be using their business name and want our own local Exchange 2003 server to be able to accept email under their main email address suffix (@companyB.com).

We want to use our own Exchange 2003 server for a variety of reasons, for our own people, but at the same time want our Exchange server to accept email directed to @CompanyB.com, but only for own own people. Is this possible? If so, how?

The quick and dirty way to accomplish this would be for Company B to create forwarders for every one of our users under their AD accounts that point to another domain name we have purchased (CompanyBxx.com) and set up in Exchange recipient polices. Not a good long-term solution and we’re not even sure they’ll agree to forward.

The ideal setup would therefore:

Would NOT require us to join their domain (i.e. become a subdomain).
Would allow our own local Exchange 2003 server to accept email for our own users under the @CompanyB.com address that they have set up in their own AD.

I found this article:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-SMTP-Namespace-Sharing.html

Under this article, am I correct in assuming that my issue falls under the “SMTP Domains that are not local for your Exchange Organization”? Not sure if any of this applies to my case.

Obviously I don’t want all email for @CompanyB.com to flow through our local Exchange, only email for certain users (our own) or groups.

Or could this issue be resolved by creating a trust relationship between our domains?  Any suggestions appreciated.

uemurad -> RE: how to receive email from different domain on our Exchange (20.Jul.2009 12:29:44 PM)

The instructions you see in the article pertain to the servers at companyB.  If they do nothing to forward mail to you, there is no way you can receive mail from the outside world for that domain name.

ely123 -> RE: how to receive email from different domain on our Exchange (20.Jul.2009 4:47:28 PM)

Thanks for the reply.

What if we create a trust relationship between the two domains? Could our Exchange server then receive email destined for @CompanyB.com?

We're trying to avoid having to completely revamp our own domain or become a subdomain just for our Exchange server to receive email for @CompanyB.com.

ely123 -> RE: how to receive email from different domain on our Exchange (20.Jul.2009 4:50:55 PM)

Or maybe I should have said, What would CompanyB have to do on their end so that our Exchange server, from a different forest, can receive email for their domain?

Aside from obvious forwarding.

uemurad -> RE: how to receive email from different domain on our Exchange (21.Jul.2009 4:22:08 PM)

They are the ones that need to choose the appropriate path in the article you read and configure their server accordingly.

ely123 -> RE: how to receive email from different domain on our Exchange (21.Jul.2009 4:56:58 PM)

The below MS article ("How to share an SMTP address space in Exchange 2000 Server or in Exchange Server 2003") seems to explain exactly what needs to be done on CompanyB's end.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321721

Basically as I understand it, Company B would not even have to create AD accounts for our people in CompanyA. It would not require a forest trust either.

Once that SMTP address space (@CompanyB.com) is shared through Recipient policies, the SMTP connector is created, the smart host is specified for our own Exchange server, any email  directed to firstname.lastname@CompanyB.com that is not resolvable from their end to a mailbox or AD account would then get relayed to our own Exchange front end.

Am I correct in assuming that I would also, on our end, have to go into Recipient Policies and create the @CompanyB.com SMTP space? Otherwise, the firstname.lastname@CompanyB.com would not correlate to any AD accounts on our end as well.

Please let me know if I am missing anything here.

Thanks!

Page: [1]