• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2000 disaster recovery

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange 2000 disaster recovery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2000 disaster recovery - 21.Jul.2009 8:25:31 AM   
Jape

Situation is:

Client has old exchange 2000 server, which failed (CPU or motherboard went *poof*).

Not much point buying new hardware for that old server because it's so damn old that theres no new hardware available for it even if we wanted to repair it. Plan is to replace it with new server.

Another problem is that theres no tape backups available. Means that we need to dig up those exchange 2000 databases from old hard disks (hard disks should be fine on that old server, so shouldnt be a major problem. Just need to find compatible scsi controller). Problem is that i'm kinda noob with exchange, so i'm not sure what files to copy.

So... question is: there easy(ish) way to restore exchange 2000 data to newer exchange server (either 2003 or 2007). And if there is, how to do it?

Install exchange 2000 on new server, copy databases and update it to exchange 2003/2007? Or is there some way to restore exchange 2000 databases directly to newer exchange server?
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2000 disaster recovery - 21.Jul.2009 9:24:45 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

Take out the database from the old server (Priv1.edb and priv1.stm i.e only edb and stm)
Keep in mind you need to have the database in the clean shutdown. If it is dirty shutdown then you need to repair it.

Bring your new server.
Keep the same server name as like the old server name
Run setup.exe /disasterrecovery switch (This will grab the exchange information from the configuration partition and install the exchange binaries)

then stop the information store service
Rename mdbdata to mdbdataold
create a new folder called as mdbdata
copy the edb and stm
and then go to the mailbox store properties and check the option "This database can be overwritten" and mount the database.

(in reply to Jape)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2000 disaster recovery - 21.Jul.2009 9:36:17 AM   
Jape

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2000 disaster recovery - 22.Jul.2009 6:37:37 AM   
Jape

By the way... Is it possible to copy exchange 2000 databases to newer exchange (2003 or 2007) server, or does it have to be same server version (2000 -> 2000).

thanks.

Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2000 disaster recovery - 22.Jul.2009 6:49:50 AM   
ismail.mohammed

Recommended to have same version

Moreover Exchange 2007 only support edb. not stm format

You can try to put the database on exchange 2003 but still depends upon the database signature. It worked for me when i tested but this is not the way i suggest.

Keep in mind org name and administrative group should be same as like you had in the old database

(in reply to Jape)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2000 disaster recovery - 9.Aug.2017 10:42:32 PM   
maianh04

Winter has returned. I do not like because I can not stand the cold. But wearing loud clothes also quite interesting. I look like a cute bear
www.facebookbaixargratis.com.br

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange 2000 disaster recovery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter