• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Sending and receiving mail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Sending and receiving mail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sending and receiving mail - 29.Jul.2009 1:35:07 PM   
jerseyjoe9001

I have two mail servers, one new exchange 2003 on win2003 and the old mail server running exchange 2000 on win 2000
I desire to only the exchange 2003 box running in native mode by itself
I moved all the mailboxes to exchange 2003. I made it the Master and I configured a virtual stnp port on it. I use gfi mail security on it and see the email coming in and out of it.

But when I shut down the exchange 2000 server, no one can send email in or email out, nor can users send email to other active directory users on the same domain, the network settings (other than ip of course) are the same.

Dcdiag and netdiag all report no errors.

I upgraded to windows 2003 recently with no errors, all my domain controllers are running 2003 (the exchange 2003 box isn't a domain controller), the exchange 2000 box is the last win 2000 domain controller, but holds no roles and isn't a global catelog server. I want to demote it, but I worried b/c with it functioning, email stops works. By the way users only check email using outlook client internally and the exchange server will authecate them fine, so I don't think this is a DNS issue.
How can I get my exchange 2003 box sending and receiving internal and external mail, so that I can get rid of exchange 2000 and have my one exchange 2003 server in native mode?

< Message edited by jerseyjoe9001 -- 29.Jul.2009 1:38:18 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sending and receiving mail - 3.Aug.2009 3:13:04 AM   
uemurad

This is likely to be two separate issues, one related to inbound mail and one related to outbound mail.  I'm going to start with just the simplest possible causes first, mainly because you didn't mention what you've already done to troubleshoot, nor can I tell from what you've written so far how much experience you have with Messaging.  This isn't a criticism, I just have to start the conversation somewhere.

Let's talk about inbound first.  If you shut down the Exch2K server and inbound messages stop flowing, it means that the messages are always going there first.  Realizing that, follow the routing logic.  Where does your DNS MX record point?  To your 2K server?  If that's the case, you need to have a public IP address for your 2K3 server.  The simplest solution might be to move that address to the 2K3 server.  Respond if you've already gone through that level of troubleshooting.

Now let's talk about outbound mail.  Obviously the outbound messages are routing through the 2K server.  Look at the SMTP connector that delivers mail to the Internet.  Is your 2K3 server listed as a bridgehead?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jerseyjoe9001)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Sending and receiving mail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter