• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG without offline defrag

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG without offline defrag Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG without of... - 6.Aug.2009 10:37:08 AM   
Nutzer

All,

I currently have 1 Exchange Storage Group bout 109GB. I only have 33GB free space left, I have also 1 xtra open slot for my raid 5. Even if I plug another 73gb to my raid 5 giving me 203GB of free space in all(not including the current used 109GB) it would still be a bit tight.
I'm doing some research, and let me know if this works. Create new information stores and move mailboxes to it. Should give me a tiny database. and once everything is moved over to 1 or 2 new mailbox database, delete the old one.
(I've since implemented an Exchange archive solution, but even after my archives of the heavy users, my Information Stores haven't gone down, cause I need to do an offline defrag. Reason I read that I don't want to do an offline defrag is that, I read it is more trouble than good, or more chance of corruption after the degrag or during.)
So do you think this is a good idea or I should not worry bout the offline defrag?

Thanks for reading my long winded post. Any help much appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG withou... - 6.Aug.2009 10:48:41 AM   
mark@mvps.org

The thing with an offline defrag is that you need 110% of the size o the database as free space somewhere accessible to your system to allow the defrag (the system doesn't defrag the store, it defrags a copy of it and then replaces the result)

I would check event id 1221 to make sure you have tons of free space. Do the maths and subtract free space from db size. If you re left with enough space then yes, best thing is to create a new store and move mailboxes.

That said, if there is a ton of space inside (again, event 1221) the store you don't have a problem because the store will just never grow again. The only downside to doing nothing is that the backup will take the same time for 109GB than it always has. It processes the white space as well.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to Nutzer)
Post #: 2
RE: Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG withou... - 6.Aug.2009 10:49:10 AM   
uemurad

If you have the capacity to create a new Mailbox Store and move mailboxes, then I prefer that method because you don't have to take anything offline.  Individual mailboxes will be unavailable as they are being moved, but everything else will stay running.

Before you do anything however, look at your Application Log for the most recent 1221 Event to see how much space you can expect to recover.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Nutzer)
Post #: 3
RE: Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG withou... - 6.Aug.2009 11:14:32 AM   
Nutzer

So checking event id 1221 I got "The database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store has 13088 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated. "

So this event is telling me bout the online defrag and I saved bout 12.5GB of free space?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 4
RE: Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG withou... - 6.Aug.2009 11:24:46 AM   
mark@mvps.org

If that's all you've freed up inside the store then it's a moot point. There's no need to do any defrag.
If you've gota 109 GB store and there's only 13GB free space in it what paramters have you been archiving against? You either haven't cleared out much or you may have had a higher Deleted Items Retention than the default. You might have to wait a bit longer for the event 1221 to show more space.
Alternatively you might want to archive more.

Best option? Do nothing.

List Moderator

(in reply to Nutzer)
Post #: 5
RE: Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG withou... - 6.Aug.2009 11:46:14 AM   
Nutzer

Ok, so the 1221 event shows the online defrag(white space) which does not physically shrink the actual data store.

Well, what I'm trying to accomplish after I add the 73gb drive to my current Raid5 is so I can have options like ability to use Recovery Storage Group etc...but even with the upgraded HD space(roughly 203GB) it seems a bit tight.  Which is why I'm hoping that either a offline defrag or create a new storage group will shrink my current 109gb info store to maybe 90gb?  That way, I can have some leeway with RSG or something else.
What do you think?

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 6
RE: Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG withou... - 6.Aug.2009 11:54:28 AM   
mark@mvps.org

I think you're wasting your time.
If you really want to have something just in case you need an RSG then a Virtual PC guest with Exchange on it and putting the RSG there to use would be all you need.

If you ever have to wonder about adding another disk to eek out a bit more space to do a little task then you're asking the wrong question.

List Moderator

(in reply to Nutzer)
Post #: 7
RE: Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG withou... - 6.Aug.2009 12:00:30 PM   
Nutzer

Thanks Mark.

I guess it is what it is.  So my best option so far is to archive more emails ie bigger attachments, closer dates, so then I can think of doing either offline defrag or move to new info stores.  correct?

Again, thanks again.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Trying to figure way to best minimise my ESG without offline defrag Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter