• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

CMF / Junk Mail Filtering in EAS?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> CMF / Junk Mail Filtering in EAS? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CMF / Junk Mail Filtering in EAS? - 18.Aug.2009 11:05:57 AM   
The Condor

I have an annoying issue with EAS where my phone recieving junk mail.

My setup is: exch07, EAS, WM6.1, and outlook07
We run CMF on the server, and it does a good job of blocking and marking email. I get about 25 junk emails a day that all make it to my junk mail folder in Outlook.

My problem is this:
When a clearly junk mail message arrives it syncs to my phone's inbox, but Outlook flags it as junk. The next time my phone connects, the mail is no longer in my inbox. Great.

However, if I check my messages on my phone first, Outlook won't touch it.
And, on the weekends, because Outlook is not running at my desk, everything just comes to my phone's inbox.

Is this a WM6.1 issue, or a do I need to tweak something on the server? Thank you for your help.
Post #: 1
RE: CMF / Junk Mail Filtering in EAS? - 3.Sep.2009 6:44:19 AM   
rishishah

So this mean you are allowing Outlook to do the JunkMail control rather than the Exchange Server.

You need to get the Exchange Server to do this AntiSpam too... atleast this way about 90% of the 25 emails will be directed either into your JunkMail folder from the start or if it really junk, just rejected by the Exchange Server...

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to The Condor)
Post #: 2
RE: CMF / Junk Mail Filtering in EAS? - 25.Sep.2009 12:14:07 PM   
The Condor

Exchange does the junk mail filter, but that is where the problem is. The mail is directed to my junk mail box by the server. However, when Outlook is not running, these messages wind up in my inbox.

Scenario:
On a Saturday, I recieve 100 junk mail messages. All 100 appear on my phone as new messages in my inbox.

If I do not open any messages on my phone, and instead open Outlook, all 100 messages will be in my Junk Mail folder, and no longer appear in my inbox on my phone.

If I open a junk mail message on my phone, it will stay in my inbox in Outlook.

In this scenario, the solution is to live with "100 new messages" on my phone all weekend, and then open Outlook on Monday to clear them all out.

This is not an issue of junk mail filtering being disabled on my server. I have disabled it for diagnostics, and I recieve about 600 junk mail messages a day with it disabled. (although, "600 new messages" is preety funny looking on my phone)

So, I guess this is a pretty unique scenario?

< Message edited by The Condor -- 25.Sep.2009 12:16:06 PM >

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 3
RE: CMF / Junk Mail Filtering in EAS? - 1.Oct.2009 6:42:04 AM   
rishishah

Have you tried to enable the Automatically filter Junk Email in OWA? (options --> Junk email)

Hopefully this should filter the junkmail at Exchange level and before it hits your mobile device.

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to The Condor)
Post #: 4
RE: CMF / Junk Mail Filtering in EAS? - 1.Oct.2009 9:39:16 AM   
The Condor

That sounded so good! However, when I went to do it, yes, it is already checked.

My only theory is that the SCL threshold on the server is too low, and my Outlook's filter does most of the work. However, any changes I make on the server have too much of an effect on our other users.

This might be one of those things I just have to live with.

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> CMF / Junk Mail Filtering in EAS? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter