• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group - 4.Sep.2009 10:44:09 AM   
messier.b

Hello,

We are trying to setup two Send Connectors in Exchange 2007 that will only allow certain AD Groups to route through them.  We want a majority of the users to send emails out through the default connector which relays back through Postini and then a select set of users to send out through a secondary connector that relays out through Zix for Email Encryption.  We want these rules to be based on Group Membership.  We need to make sure that normal domain users can only use the default send connector and the encryption users can only use the Zix Connector.

We could easily accomplish in Exchange 2003 by using the delivery restrictions tab on each of the connectors and it worked great, but I am not seeing any type of option like that in Exchange 2007.  Please advise on how to accomplish this same setup in Exchange 2007.

Thanks,
Brian
Post #: 1
RE: Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group - 4.Sep.2009 11:32:55 AM   
mark@mvps.org

We went through this on the forum a few days ago when the item in question was PGP rather than Zix. The PGP helpdesk gave the guy a right runaround (because he'd been cheap and only been given budget to purchase 100 licences rather than the thousands of seats he had). Exchange wouldn't route differently based on any of the parameters he could use.

What he found in the end, to bring you to your point.... is that the PGP box had, because Exchange can't do it!!, an exclusion list so that only the licenced 100 names got encrypted based on subject keywords, and the rest of the user base just got passed through.

I think you'll be in the same position.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to messier.b)
Post #: 2
RE: Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group - 4.Sep.2009 11:42:48 AM   
messier.b

I am not sure that I agree with quote "being cheap", we are setting this up in a Bank environment and there is really no reason for tellers and CSR's to send encrypted email and with today's economy business are saving $$$ where they can...but back to the issue.

The Zix Solution is a hosted solution and there is no physical hardware or software within the bank...so I have to have Exchange Route correctly bases on the customer's needs...it is not up to Zix to make my exchange server route correctly.  My main point here is this was very easy to setup in Exchange 2003 but does not appear that Exchange 2007 supports this, which really surprises me (not really) that MS would remove a feature like this.

Again, this is not a Zix issue in my mind...I could repost and have a different scenario that does not involve email encryption or what quantity of something that I am buying, the point remains the same...I need this to work.

Thanks,
Brian

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group - 4.Sep.2009 11:53:47 AM   
thanusa

Here's a cmdlet that I'm wondering if it will work:

Get-DistributionGroup "DistributionGroupName" | Set-SendConnector "ConnectorName"

That cmdlet in my mind would assign the specific AD group the use of that specific connector. Is my train of thought wrong on that?

Post #: 4
RE: Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group - 4.Sep.2009 12:09:05 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Not you being cheap, the other people and he agreed with me.

I think that the other poster could well be on track with the send connector option though.

This usually crops up when people want recipients encrypted or they want things tagged per subject line. If you do have a fixed set of people who will always have their email encrypted then the other post in this thread could be perfect.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to thanusa)
Post #: 5
RE: Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group - 8.Sep.2009 9:18:23 AM   
thanusa

Mark, I don't think any of what you replied answered my question. Will the cmdlet work or not?

Post #: 6
RE: Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group - 28.Jan.2014 9:50:27 AM   
Victor Ivanidze

Have a look at RouteBySender tool.

(in reply to thanusa)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Can Exchange 07 Route OUTBOUND email based on AD Group Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter