• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Install could not find any Global Catalog in forest <domainname>.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange Install could not find any Global Catalog in forest <domainname>. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Install could not find any Global Catalog in f... - 15.Sep.2009 10:48:49 AM   
ramadji

Hello,

I had Exchange Server 2007 SP1 Std running ( not in production) and I took it down to upgrade to the Enterprise Edition. Now, when I try to reinstall Exchange in my environment, I keep getting errors telling me that the installation process cannot find a Global Catalog in the forest. I have 2 Global Catalog running in my environment (Windows Server 2008 Std x64-bit). The connectivity is OK between the servers on which I'm trying to install the Exchange roles (ping is successful).

What am I doing wrong? Can my headache be caused by some old Exchange objects left in AD? If that's the case, is there a away to cleanup Active Directory and remove all the references to the old Exchange Server?

I'm attaching the errors that I'm getting and I hope someone in the forum could help me fix this problem.

Thanks in advance -
----

Summary: 3 item(s). 0 succeeded, 3 failed.
Elapsed time: 00:00:08

Hub Transport Role Prerequisites
Failed

Error:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Could not find any Global Catalog in forest <domainname>.

Error:
The Hub Transport server role is already installed on this computer.

Error:
Cannot find at least one global catalog server running Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later in the local Active Directory site.
Recommended Action: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=30939&l=en&v=ExBPA.3&id=67aca4a0-bc3f-4f8f-8297-b13e0d347942

Error:
Setup cannot continue because one or more SMTP/Send connectors have invalid settings: Could not find any Global Catalog in forest <domainname>.

Elapsed Time: 00:00:03

Unified Messaging Server Role Prerequisites
Failed

Error:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Could not find any Global Catalog in forest <domainname>

Error:
The Unified Messaging server role is already installed on this computer.

Error:

This computer requires Windows Media Encoder. Install the Desktop-Experience component via Server Manager.
Recommended Action: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=30939&l=en&v=ExBPA.3&id=5dbd230b-da19-4200-a839-1ebe89feed0e

Error:
This computer requires Windows Media Audio Voice Codec. Install the Desktop-Experience component via Server Manager.
Recommended Action: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=30939&l=en&v=ExBPA.3&id=7920e8c8-9574-457a-9c7c-1a6c9469a60b

Error:
Cannot find at least one global catalog server running Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later in the local Active Directory site.
Recommended Action: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=30939&l=en&v=ExBPA.3&id=67aca4a0-bc3f-4f8f-8297-b13e0d347942

Elapsed Time: 00:00:02

Mailbox Role Prerequisites
Failed

Error:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Could not find any Global Catalog in forest <domainname>.

Error:
The Mailbox server role is already installed on this computer.

Error:

Warning:
Setup did not detect an existing Client Access server role installed in Active Directory site 'npca'. Outlook Web Access and Exchange ActiveSync mobile device access will not be available until a Client Access role is installed.

Post #: 1
RE: Exchange Install could not find any Global Catalog ... - 15.Sep.2009 2:28:40 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

Yes is you removed Exhange by following the procedure in the following technet article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123893.aspx

It looks like their are somethings still in AD, my advise is to check if the steps in the document have been execute.
When these are done use adsiedit to remove the Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT).

You will find it in:
- Configuration
- CN=Configuration,DC=..
- CN=Services
- CN=Microsoft Exchange

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to ramadji)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange Install could not find any Global Catalog ... - 15.Sep.2009 4:18:29 PM   
ramadji

Johan,
Thanks for your feedback and your suggestions. Here is the thing. I've totally rebuilt the servers holding my Exchange installations and I have re-installed Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64-bit on them. Therefore, I didn't follow the steps mentioned in the technet paper.

So, I don't have the Exchange folders you mentioned in your message. I also removed the old server instances (deleted them) from AD. I agree with you that there are reminders of objects in AD but using ADSI Edit, I can't see the different lines of items you listed.

No Configuration
No CN=Configuration, DC=....
No CN=Services
No CN=Microsoft Exchange

I only see:
OU=Microsoft Exchange Security Groups
CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects.
      CN=Exchange Install Domain Servers

Considering that I've totally rebuilt the two Exchange boxes from ground up, do you think that there is any way I can cleanup the remains of Exchange objects in AD and be able to do another install on the same boxes? I even changed the name of the two boxes and join them to the domain but it didn't help.  There is no doubt that there  are some dirty items left in AD but I just don't know how to go about cleaning without disrupting my AD infrastructure.

Any advice/recommendations?
I really appreciate your taking your time to help me out.

Best regards,

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange Install could not find any Global Catalog ... - 15.Sep.2009 5:23:57 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

Please make sure select Configuration in the drop-down after the following text: select a well known naming context.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to ramadji)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange Install could not find any Global Catalog ... - 16.Sep.2009 9:43:16 AM   
ramadji

Hi Johan,

Thank you very much. I found it after selecting "Configuration" as well known context.
I will let you know how things go. I truly appreciate your valuable expertise.

Best regards,

Ramadji

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange Install could not find any Global Catalog ... - 17.Sep.2009 12:05:18 PM   
ramadji

Hi there Johan,
I removed the Exchange Administrative Group as you recommended ( using ADSI Edit) but I'm still getting the message below:
Elapsed time: 00:00:19

Hub Transport Role Prerequisites
Failed

Error:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Could not find any Global Catalog in forest <mydomainname>.

Error:

Error:
Setup cannot continue because one or more SMTP/Send connectors have invalid settings: Could not find any Global Catalog in forest <mydomainname>.

Warning:
Setup cannot detect an SMTP or Send connector with an address space of '*'. Mail flow to the Internet may not work properly.
Elapsed Time: 00:00:15

Unified Messaging Server Role Prerequisites
Failed

Error:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Could not find any Global Catalog in forest <mydomainname>.

Error:
This computer requires Windows Media Encoder. Install the Desktop-Experience component via Server Manager.
Recommended Action: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=30939&l=en&v=ExBPA.3&id=5dbd230b-da19-4200-a839-1ebe89feed0e

Error:
This computer requires Windows Media Audio Voice Codec. Install the Desktop-Experience component via Server Manager.
Recommended Action: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=30939&l=en&v=ExBPA.3&id=7920e8c8-9574-457a-9c7c-1a6c9469a60b

Error:

Mailbox Role Prerequisites
Failed

Error:

Error:

Warning:
Setup did not detect an existing Client Access server role installed in Active Directory site 'mydomainname'. Outlook Web Access and Exchange ActiveSync mobile device access will not be available until a Client Access role is installed.

______

The last warning makes sense because I don't have a CAS box set up at this point. But I'm puzzled that the install process of Exchange keeps complaining that it cannot find a GC in my set up. Pinging gc._msdcs.<mydomainname> is successful. The first time, it pings my GC located at 10.0.0.5 and the second time it talks to the other GC at 10.0.0.6.

C:\>ping gc._msdcs.mydomainname

Pinging gc._msdcs.mydomainname[10.0.0.5] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.5: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.5:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>ping gc._msdcs.mydomainname

Pinging gc._msdcs.mydomainname [10.0.0.6] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.6: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.6:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

The logs of those DC/GC do not say anything that would make me believe that there is something fishy going on. And there is no firewall between the DC/GC and the machines on which I'm trying to install Exchange Server 2007 SP1.

Additionally, when I check the NTDS settings of the two DCs Global Catalog is selected. I simply to understand why the install process keeps saying that there is no GC in the environment. Doesn't make sense but maybe I'm missing something that other Exchange and AD gurus like you can see.

Do you think that there are other objects in AD that I need to remove? What about CN=Microsoft Exchange and everything that is in it? Also, under the Default Naming Context, there are: OU=Microsoft Exchange System Objects and CN=Microsoft Exchange Security Groups. What to do with  those two?

It looks like many other people have faced the same issue with Exchange Server 2007 but there are to clear cut solutions for the problem.

Thank you for any suggestions, ideas you may have.

Best regards,

Ramadji

(in reply to ramadji)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange Install could not find any Global Catalog in forest <domainname>. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter