Uninstallation Exchange on Server (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation

miketayo -> Uninstallation Exchange on Server (18.Sep.2009 4:28:36 AM)

I need to uninstall exchange from a client server but i cant uninstall the mailbox i have this error

Exchange server "Mainserver.xxx.com" was not found. Please make you have typed it correctly.

When i opened the xchange management console under the organisation configuration i have this error
Group "3d604b35-d992-4155-aafd-8c0ae688eaof"was not found. Please make sure you have typed it correctly. it was running 'get-ExchangeAdministrator'.

de.blackman -> RE: Uninstallation Exchange on Server (18.Sep.2009 8:11:29 AM)

I think there may be a bit of background information you are forgetting to mention. Did you have any issues with active directory lately?

miketayo -> RE: Uninstallation Exchange on Server (18.Sep.2009 8:33:34 AM)

exchange account in AD (Windows 2008 Server)were deleted manually.

The whole idea was to reinstall the Exchange Server from scatch, only to notice that uninstallation was not possible.

I need to remove exchange completely from this server using any means, without a server formating.

thanks

de.blackman -> RE: Uninstallation Exchange on Server (18.Sep.2009 8:59:47 AM)

There we go! [:D] The more details provided when posting an issue, the easier it is to really understand the issue!

Have you tried running an authoritative restore of the exchange server account from your active directory backup?

In your case, running setup to uninstall exchange will not work because it will not find the server in AD. Unfortunately there is no Manual removal process of exchange 2007 (like they had in previous version)(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927464). You will also have to remove the computer from the domain and rejoin it so any other (domain related) applications running on it are broken anyways. In short, if you really want to get this done with the least amount of troubleshooting and effort put into Exchange (there may be other reason you do not want to format), the cleanest method, I would suggest:
1. format the whole server
2. Reinstall it with the SAME NAME, SAME OS and SAME drive configuration as it currently sits (basically mirror the server)
3. reconfigure it and run exchange setup with the RecoverServer switch to get its configuration back from AD (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998656.aspx)

miketayo -> RE: Uninstallation Exchange on Server (18.Sep.2009 9:13:55 AM)

thanks

what if i install the exchange on another server (windows server 2003 Enterprise) and then connect the other server with the main AD to this new server will this work?

de.blackman -> RE: Uninstallation Exchange on Server (18.Sep.2009 9:26:22 AM)

quote:

install the exchange on another server (windows server 2003 Enterprise) and then connect the other server with the main AD to this new server

I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean remove the original server from the domain and rejoin it back into the domain? Yes you can do this, but you still have to manually go and give this new computer account permission to the organization (using ADSIEdit) (if that was what you meant!)

Elan Shudnow -> RE: Uninstallation Exchange on Server (18.Sep.2009 9:27:14 AM)

You can do it on any new machine but you will want it to contain the same name as the old server which means formatting the old machine or at the very least, change the computername.  It just has to meet what de.blackman stated.  Read this step-by-step article which explains how to use the recoverserver:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Recovering-Exchange-2007-Server-RecoverServer-switch.html

Page: [1]