• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Changed Hosting and Everything is messed up

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Changed Hosting and Everything is messed up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changed Hosting and Everything is messed up - 25.Sep.2009 10:59:14 PM   
jimmi24

I am new here but this seems like a great resource. I should clarify that I am not a super techy person.

Here is a sequence of events that should hopefully detail everything about my situation:

1. We run exchange on SBS 2003. We host our own e-mail domain on the server but our website is hosted somewhere else.

2. We changed hosting providers on Thursday. I changed the nameservers and the site migrated over and our e-mail went down.

3. I logged in to our new domain cpanel (hostgator) and changed the MX records to what they were before the switchover.

4. I started getting e-mail on my blackberry (BES hosted on the server) but I could not get my outlook to connect to the server. (Trying to connect from a different network)

5. Outlook web access and remote desktop connection to the server both would not work outside of the local network

6. When I got to the office, and I was on the same network as the server, my outlook would connect just fine and outlook web access would only connect if I used the following: server.domain.local/exchange and the remote desktop connection to the server only works with server.domain.local

7. Now that I am home and off the local network, outlook won't connect and I get the following error after a send/receive: Task 'Microsoft Exchange' reported error (0x80040115) : 'The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.'

8. Everyone at the office is experiencing the same problem.

I think that should cover the details. What am I missing, are there settings on the server that need to be changed after our domain changes hosting providers? Thanks for any help you can give.
Post #: 1
RE: Changed Hosting and Everything is messed up - 27.Sep.2009 3:18:13 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

Please check that the A-records which are used for the services are migrated to the new domain. It looks like this hasn't be done.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to jimmi24)
Post #: 2
RE: Changed Hosting and Everything is messed up - 27.Sep.2009 6:16:16 PM   
jimmi24

Thanks for the advice. Where can I find the A-records? Thanks.

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 3
RE: Changed Hosting and Everything is messed up - 27.Sep.2009 10:04:08 PM   
uemurad

A-records are part of DNS, just as MX records are.  If you were using Outlook as your Email client from outside your network, then you must have implemented RPC over HTTP (or HTTPS).  Therefore you have to ask yourself if anything changed to prevent HTTP or HTTPS connections to your Exchange server from the outside.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jimmi24)
Post #: 4
RE: Changed Hosting and Everything is messed up - 28.Sep.2009 12:06:51 AM   
jimmi24

Is it a server based setting or a hosting cpanel setting?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: Changed Hosting and Everything is messed up - 28.Sep.2009 1:23:29 AM   
uemurad

The ones being talked about are almost always hosted by a service outside your own systems.  Typically it's your ISP or a 3rd-party hosting service.  DNS is one of those services that is confusing because it also lives inside your environment.  However, the ones affecting connectivity from the outside world are your public DNS records.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jimmi24)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Changed Hosting and Everything is messed up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter