• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Defrag is not shrinking my EDB to the amount of data in it

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Defrag is not shrinking my EDB to the amount of data in it Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defrag is not shrinking my EDB to the amount of data in it - 26.Sep.2009 4:57:53 PM   
shertbert99

Hi I have a EDB file that only has 6GB of data in it but when I defragged it, it only went down to 12GB from 14GB. Any ideas how I can get it smaller?

Here are details of what I did.

I am using Exchange 2000 and my .edb file hit 14GB so I went to defrag it and it said it was corrupted. So I ran eseutil /p to repair it. It said it repaired it successfully. Then I tried to defrag it again with eseutil /d and it only took it down to 12GB.

When I check under Exchange System Manager > My Storage Group > Mailboxes. I only see about 6GB of space used by all the mailboxes in there.

I checked and the setting to save deleted emails is set to 0 days. So I can't figure out why my EDB is still so big.

Do you think it's because it got corrupted? Any thoughts on what I can do to get it back down to 6GB?

(My edb file is not the priv or pub edb file if that makes a difference)

Thanks for the help
Post #: 1
RE: Defrag is not shrinking my EDB to the amount of dat... - 26.Sep.2009 5:12:02 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Well, I'm sad to say that you looked in the most useless place going.
Look instead at event id 1221 in the application event log. That will give you an accurate view of how much free space there is, taking into consideration deleted items retention and other system aspects.
I would imagine that since you got 2GB back the free space is probably pretty small.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to shertbert99)
Post #: 2
RE: Defrag is not shrinking my EDB to the amount of dat... - 27.Sep.2009 5:12:53 AM   
ashishjoshi1

Hi,

ESM does not shows the exact amount of white space in the database,it will show actual number of emails and the size of the emails in the database.

You should look for event id 1221 in the application logs, description of this event will tell you how much is the white space in the DB.
One very important thing to remember is if you want your databases to shrink, you should make sure that online defragmentation is completing successfully because online defrag will only calculate the white space in the DB and mark the data for deletion and will actually delete it. Offline defrag is the process which runs after online defrag had completed it tasks of marking the emails or objects for deletion after the retention period is over, in your case it is 0 which is immediate.

Make sure online defrag is completing successfully, running offline defrag will not be helpful unless online defrag is not successful.

Regards,
Ashish Joshi

(in reply to shertbert99)
Post #: 3
RE: Defrag is not shrinking my EDB to the amount of dat... - 28.Sep.2009 11:55:38 AM   
shertbert99

Thanks guys I think you helped me figure out what is going on.

I checked the events and noticed the online defragmentation was failing prior to when I repaired the database.

When I did an offline defrag, it was after I repaired it and I didn't give it a chance to do a new online defrag on the repaired database. That is why it probably only freed up 2GB.

I checked the events after I did the repair and the online defrag is working again and says 7GB is used. So I'll run an offline defrag tonight which should get it down to 7GB.

Defraging it offline again worked. I am now down to 6GB.

Thanks!

< Message edited by shertbert99 -- 28.Sep.2009 6:54:28 PM >

(in reply to ashishjoshi1)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Defrag is not shrinking my EDB to the amount of data in it Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter