• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA to multiple forests

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA to multiple forests Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA to multiple forests - 29.Sep.2009 10:24:53 AM   
Maddas69

Hi all
I have the following scenario:
Two separate forests, one W2k3 and E2k3 and one W2k8 and E2k7SP1.
Want to accomplish:
Access to both forests from the same OWA with users in both forests using the same MX.
The users will not exchange any free/busy information,GAL sync or anything else from the opposite forest.
These are two complete separated hosting forests but I want users to access their mailboxes through the same OWA/MX (let`s say https://mail.commonname.com) and then be redirected to the correct mailserver. I also would want to do the same with Outlook Anywhere/RPCoverHTTPS/Mobilesync.

Can this be done? Maybe I need a ISA server?
Post #: 1
RE: OWA to multiple forests - 29.Sep.2009 10:29:07 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You can't go cross-forest with a FE/CAS. You need to deploy multiple boxes, virtualized if you want but they have to be installed into the home forest and cannot be used as gateways to remote forests.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to Maddas69)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA to multiple forests - 29.Sep.2009 10:36:06 AM   
Maddas69

Thank you for your reply.
So what you are saying is that users in the 2K3 forest for instance will have to access http://mail.commonname.com/exchange and users in the 2K7 forest will have to use https://mail.commonname1.com/exchange (which of course means using separate IIS`s and connect directly to the two mailservers).

So there is no product where you let`s say can make a "front-end" IIS that can redirect users from one common address to the two "back-end" completely separated forests?

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: OWA to multiple forests - 29.Sep.2009 10:42:22 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You have to have two URL's. There isn't a bit of software that magically determines that an inbound request from an as-yet unauthenticated client needs to go to the 2003 FE rather than the 2007 CAS in the other forest.

I would suspect that there's probably an Identity Management solution there. Call the Oxford Computer Group (Google is your friend) and engage them.

List Moderator

(in reply to Maddas69)
Post #: 4
RE: OWA to multiple forests - 29.Sep.2009 10:47:22 AM   
mark@mvps.org

And I just asked my wife over IM. She says:

L says (10:45 AM):

You just described a bog-standard home realm discovery page.

Mark Arnold [MVP] says (10:45 AM):

Cool.

L says (10:46 AM):

Any .NET web developer worth his salt could write it in a day.

List Moderator

(in reply to Maddas69)
Post #: 5
RE: OWA to multiple forests - 29.Sep.2009 10:51:51 AM   
Maddas69

That`s pretty cool as I asked my wife what was for dinner today and didn`t get half as good an answer that you did :-)
Thank you for your replies Mark, I will try to look into it and post the solution here.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 6
RE: OWA to multiple forests - 29.Sep.2009 10:55:05 AM   
Maddas69

BUT, I would also think that you could make a front-end web page, but that wouldn`t solve the Outlook Anywhere/RPC over HTTPS/MobileSync issue.......

(in reply to Maddas69)
Post #: 7
RE: OWA to multiple forests - 29.Sep.2009 11:10:27 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You wouldn't need to though. The only problem you're trying to solve is the human interaction bit, i.e. OWA. If you deploy RPC over HTTPS and ActiveSync you can push policies out and the user never needs to know what URL he's hitting.
You're going to use three URLs, one each for the two forests for the stuff that you can do under the covers etc. via policy and the third one for users who don't know or need to know what forest they're in.
You have to have the three URLs anyway of course, unless you also deploy a reverse proxy but then it all starts getting very architectural-y

List Moderator

(in reply to Maddas69)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA to multiple forests Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter