• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Message not received after MX record change

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Message not received after MX record change Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Message not received after MX record change - 5.Oct.2009 7:39:07 PM   
Hanish

Help....
I got the MX record changed for company abc.co.uk to point to parent companies MX record at 123.co.uk

abc.co.uk is resolving to the mx record for 123.co.uk but when I send an e-mail to recpt@abc.co.uk nothing turns up in the new created mailbox at recpt@123.co.uk I have added the alias for the recepients mailbox as well as the domainname abc.co.uk to the global settings -> internet message formats 

when I do an smtp from mx toolbox on the net I get the following:

HELO please-read-policy.mxtoolbox.com

250 server.123.local Hello [64.20.227.133] [156 ms]

MAIL FROM: <supertool@mxtoolbox.com>

250 2.1.0 supertool@mxtoolbox.com....Sender OK [156 ms]

RCPT TO: <test@example.com>

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for test@example.com [140 ms]

QUIT

221 2.0.0 server.123.local Service closing transmission channel [156 ms]

I get no error messages or bounce backs except when I do the above SMTP test.

abc.co.uk and 123.co.uk are running exchange server 2003 std on separate domains abc and 123 namely. In the process of amalgamating the 2 AD domains (which are on separate subnets)  and demoting the abc domain and joining it as a member server ( as it contains data on server ) to the 123 domain. want to decommision exchange on the abc domain so there is only one exchange server on the 123 domain.

I am at a wits end as to what to do. Your urgent help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Message not received after MX record change - 5.Oct.2009 8:33:58 PM   
uemurad

The first thing to check is if the parent company Exchange Organization updated the Recipient Policy to include abc.co.uk and that it is acting authoritatively.

If that looks correct, check to make sure there are no SMTP connectors trying to route abc.co.uk back out.

As to why you aren't getting bounces, that can be controlled by the parent company server as well in the Global Settings / Internet Message Formats / Default / Advanced

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Hanish)
Post #: 2
RE: Message not received after MX record change - 6.Oct.2009 12:46:27 AM   
Hanish

Hi,

Can anyone expand furter on this I am new to exchange.

Hamish

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Message not received after MX record change - 6.Oct.2009 1:32:17 AM   
uemurad

I'm not sure which part you wanted explained, so let's start from the beginning.  Every SMTP domain wanting to receive mail (e.g. @abc.co.uk) has to have an MX record, indicating to sending systems where to connect via TCP port 25.  You seem to understand that somewhat, as you had your changed.  The MX record points to a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN), which in turn translates into a public IP address.  That is where the sending systems attempt to establish a port 25 connection.

The next part of what I wrote talks about acting authoritatively.  In Exchange, it means that you've told Exchange (via Active Directory) that any messages received for a particular SMTP domain should be looked up in Active Directory for a match.  Until you do that, Exchange assumes that the recipient address is outside of AD and looks for a route to send the message.

In Exchange, this is done using a Recipient Policy.

I am stopping my explanation here for now.  Depending upon how much of this you understand, I strongly recommend you pick up a good book on Exchange.  My favorites are the ones written by Jim McBee (you can look up his name on amazon.com).  You also need to decide how much you want to learn about Exchange, and messaging in general.  If you want to continue, I need to understand how much you already know and how much you want to know.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Hanish)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Message not received after MX record change Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter