• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox to Ex2007 mailbox.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox to Ex2007 mailbox. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox to E... - 18.Oct.2009 9:31:45 AM   
mrbean

Hello All.

I recently finish installing Exchange 2007 in a test environment. I want to do a migration from Ex2003 to Ex2007. I was testing out sending emails from a mailbox on Ex2003 --> Ex2007 and Ex2007 --> Ex2003. I successfully sent emails from Ex2007 client mailbox to Ex2003 client mailbox but cannot send the other way.

I am now using outlook 2007 for both clients. Ex2003 is on windows server 2003 sp2 domain controller named WS2003V1 and Ex2007 is on windows server 2008 Sp1 64-bit platform named WS2008V1. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I created the user for 2007 mailbox through AD on the WS2003V1 server the mailbox say legacy mailbox in Ex2007.

The options I had when I created Dirk kuyt Mailbox in AD was that when it asked to create an exchange mailbox I selected server as
SUPERSTAR/Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/WS2008V1 from the drop down and The mailbox store as First Storage Group/Mailbox database.

Also in the Global address book for the Ex2003 mailbox users can not see the Ex2007 created mailbox users, They can only see the 2003 users.

Below is a delivery report the 2003 mailbox gets back after he trys to send an email to the 2007 mailbox.

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: hello hows it.
Sent: 16/10/2009 18:50

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Dirk Kuyt on 16/10/2009 18:50
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<mail.domain.co.uk #5.7.1 smtp;530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated> "

Running the EXBPA health check this was the result.

Error Database back critical: pulbic folder on ws2008v1 has never been backed up

Blue ! Symbol Inteligent Message filter recommendation

Organization: SUPERSTAR
Yellow ! Recipient Update service appears to be stalled
Yellow ! Recipient Update service appears to be stalled
Blue ! Symbol Junk store threshold not configured
Blue ! Symbol Incoming and outgoing message size restriction

Admin Group: Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)
Server WS2008V1
Yellow ! Symbol Self signed certificate found
Yellow ! Symbol Self signed certificate found
Yellow ! Symbol vmware detected
Blue ! Symbol Application log size

Admin Group: First Administrative Group
Server WS2003V1
Yelow ! symbol Network interface driver file is more than 2 years old
Yelow ! symbol Storage driver is more than 2 years old
Yelow ! symbol Integrated windows authentication is turned off
Yelow ! symbol Smtp performance warning
Yelow ! symbol Vmware detected
Yelow ! symbol WINS primary is blank
Yelow ! symbol SMTP 'msExchSmtpOutgoingPort' value changed
Blue ! Symbol Application log size
Blue ! Symbol Single global catalog in topology
Blue ! Symbol SMTP server except basic authentication
Blue ! Symbol Exchange resident on global catalog server
Blue ! Symbol Crash upload logging disabled.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Kind Regards.
Bilal.
Post #: 1
RE: Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox ... - 18.Oct.2009 2:55:14 PM   
jveldh

Bilal,

Please check the following blog:

http://johanveldhuis.nl/?p=1119&lang=en

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to mrbean)
Post #: 2
RE: Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox ... - 20.Oct.2009 6:36:05 PM   
mrbean

Hello Johan.

I decided to look through the exbpa again before I recreated the connector as suggested in your article. The one warning to do with SMTP 'msExchSmtpOutgoingPort' value changed, was the cause of the email message not being able to be sent from 2003 to 2007. It required the default port 25. I had changed this value because my Internet provider does not use port 25 for outgoing mail.

2 questions I can't answer and hope yourself or someone might be able to explain:

1) Why the Global address book for the Ex2003 mailbox users cannot see the Ex2007 created mailbox users, They can only see the 2003 users?

2) When I created the user for 2007 mailbox through AD on the WS2003V1 server the mailbox say legacy mailbox in Ex2007?

I really appreciated your help.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Bilal.

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 3
RE: Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox ... - 21.Oct.2009 12:30:21 PM   
mrbean

Hi,

I worked out the answer to question 2. The reason why the 2007 mailbox say lagacy was because I used ADUC to create them. It happens that you should not use ADUC to create mailboxes.

For anyone who want's to know how to correct the issue follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941146

I have still not worked out the answer to question 1.

Could someone please help in solving this.

I would like to solve this issue before I move over the lagacy mailboxes.

Thanks.
Bilal.

(in reply to mrbean)
Post #: 4
RE: Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox ... - 21.Oct.2009 1:55:45 PM   
mrbean

Ok. I have found a solution to question 1, but there must be an easier answer. I found out if I open the 2003 user mail box settings and turn off "use cached exchange mode" I can then see all the users in the GAL.

I had moved the Offline address book to the ex2007 server as one of the final deployment task was to "configure offline address book(OAB) distribution for outlook 2007 clients" I had to enable web-based distribution. This was grayed out and the solution that was provided was to move the OAB to the exchange 2007 server.

Is there an easier solution then to turn off each client cached exchange mode?

Thanks.

Bilal.

(in reply to mrbean)
Post #: 5
RE: Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox ... - 21.Oct.2009 3:40:42 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

Have a look at this article on how you can change the way the OAB is donwnloaded:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823580

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to mrbean)
Post #: 6
RE: Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox ... - 22.Oct.2009 4:42:00 PM   
mrbean

Hello Johan.

Thank you for the link. Is this not a very long solution that you have edit the registry for each 2003 mailbox user. I know to make it easy I could set up a group policy. Is there not a way of maybe rebuilding the OAB from the server end?

Thanks.
Bilal.

< Message edited by mrbean -- 22.Oct.2009 4:45:05 PM >

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 7
RE: Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox ... - 22.Oct.2009 5:10:21 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

Nope I don't think so.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to mrbean)
Post #: 8
RE: Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox ... - 23.Oct.2009 2:04:04 PM   
mrbean

Hello Johan.

I found an answer to why the OAB was not updated for 2003 mailbox user and an easier method to fix this issue from the server side.

For anyone who has the same issue, here is the solution for you.

I discovered that the Global Address List had not been upgraded. I obtained this information by issuing the following command in the Exchange Management Shell.

Get-GlobalAddressList | Format-List Name,*RecipientFilter*,ExchangeVersion

This command lists detailed information on the Global Address Book.

It outputs the following:

Name
RecipientFilter
LdapRecipientFilter
LastUpdatedRecipientFilter
RecipientFilterApplied
RecipientFilterType
ExchangeVersion

The RecipientFilterType was set to Legacy that means that the Address book has not been upgraded to the Exchange 2007 format.

I ran the following command to correct this issue:

Set-GlobalAddressList "Default Global Address List" -RecipientFilter {(Alias -ne $null -and (ObjectClass -eq 'user' -or ObjectClass -eq 'contact' -or ObjectClass -eq 'msExchSystemMailbox' -or ObjectClass -eq 'msExchDynamicDistributionList' -or ObjectClass -eq 'group' -or ObjectClass -eq 'publicFolder'))}

I can now see all users in the address book for the 2003 mailbox user. If you have other address books they also need to be upgraded. To view information on all of the other address books on your Exchange 2007 server issue the following command:

Get-AddressList | Format-List Name,*RecipientFilter*,ExchangeVersion

I got my solution from an article I came accross. It also stated for additional information please read the following article.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/01/11/432158.aspx

Once again Johan, Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,
Bilal.

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Permission issue with mailflow from Ex2003 mailbox to Ex2007 mailbox. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter