• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Confused over windows mobile device email push and SSL Certificates

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Confused over windows mobile device email push and SSL Certificates Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confused over windows mobile device email push and SSL ... - 19.Oct.2009 4:03:18 PM   
arobbo

Hi guys, sorry for such a simple question but I'm not understanding some of the web articles that are related to windows mobile device sync with Exchange 2007.

We currently have an use Exchange 2007 and push out emails to I-Phones no problems.

I now have a windows mobile device (formally Vodafone but now unlocked) and can't seem to get it to synch with exchange.  Its an HTC S710 running windows mobile 6.

Looking at some of the knowledge based articles and the error code it would appear to be a problem with the SSL certificate.  Now we've never purchased an SSL certificate so i'm not sure if I need to go and buy one and install on Exchange or if I can use the one it creates (i've seen this in the OWA interface).

Any advice on where i'm going wrong or how I should proceed to get email working on windows mobile devices ?

I feel like a bit of a dunce that I just don't seem to get it, setting up the I-Phone with exchange 07 was pretty simple and windows mobile device should not be this difficult :(

Cheers guys

Andy
Post #: 1
RE: Confused over windows mobile device email push and ... - 20.Oct.2009 5:51:54 AM   
rishishah

it seems to you are using the default Exchange certificate right now. Hence your Windows Mobile device cannot trust it. Its just good security practice and the standard process any SSL based device should do.

I would suggest, install your own RootCA on Active Directory, give the exchange server an SSL certificate with the correct external FQDN, install and asign this certificate in exchange and ensure that your WIndows Mobile device trusts your RootCA.

Generally takes less than 20 mins to setup and is all free.

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to arobbo)
Post #: 2
RE: Confused over windows mobile device email push and ... - 20.Oct.2009 6:48:59 AM   
arobbo

sounds nice and simple.

I'm falling over at the first hurdle, everywhere I turn to on the web is talking about how to install a third party RootCA and I'm finding it hard to find guidance on how to take the existing self cert RootCA and do what your've suggested.

Could you talk me through the first steps.

many thanks

Andy

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Confused over windows mobile device email push and SSL Certificates Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter