• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mail Backup for domain in real time basis

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Mail Backup for domain in real time basis Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mail Backup for domain in real time basis - 5.Nov.2009 8:17:04 AM   
btamalb@gmail.com

Dear Team,

I want to take full backup for all emails headed to my domain (like *@abc.com) in real-time basis. The backup copy should be the readable format by using outlook(any). Pls guide me if it is possible in exchange2k3. Real-time means, at the time of delivering of downloaded mails into the respective mailboxes).
Note: Users are not keeping mail-copy in their mailbox.
Reagrds.

Thanks/Tamal
Post #: 1
RE: Mail Backup for domain in real time basis - 5.Nov.2009 12:17:09 PM   
uemurad

I always get a bit squeamish when someone asks a question like this.  I always worry that someone is going to be doing something unethical (and possibly illegal).

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, the answer is yes.  Built-in to Exchange is the ability to archive all inbound and outbound messages to a separate location.  This feature is done at the Mailbox Store level (meaning each store is configured separately).

Understand that this feature is most commonly used in conjunction with 3rd-party archival software that pulls the data out of the archival mailbox continuously so that your Store doesn't grow excessively.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to btamalb@gmail.com)
Post #: 2
RE: Mail Backup for domain in real time basis - 6.Nov.2009 1:57:27 AM   
btamalb@gmail.com

Thanks for reply sir!
This is nothing unethical as I just want to take a real-time back copy of my exchange users mailbox as they sometime ask for retrieve of the same mail's from my record even after downloaded in OE. They may be missed or delete the particular from their mail client. This is my motivation to make you famished by asking such question.
Anyway, if I go for archive all in/outbound mails from mailstore then it will ask for a particular account. But want all, so how can I do that? Moreover it asks give read permission for users, so how have to put this also?
Regards,

Thanks/Tamal

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Mail Backup for domain in real time basis - 6.Nov.2009 10:36:29 AM   
uemurad

If your intention is to create a self-service message restoration process, then what I described isn't what you want.  As I mentioned, all of the inbound and outbound messages for a particular Mailbox Store will be copied into a mailbox.  Giving everyone access means there will be no privacy.  Everyone can read any message at any time.

I would be hesitant to guarantee something like that to my users.  Exchange wasn't designed to protect against such scenarios.

If the users are losing messages, concentrate on solving that problem.  If the users are not receiving messages, that's the problem to solve.

Also, read through this set of articles I put together and see if it is helpful to you.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to btamalb@gmail.com)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Mail Backup for domain in real time basis Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter