• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Backing Up Exchange 2007

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> Backing Up Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Backing Up Exchange 2007 - 9.Nov.2009 11:49:01 AM   
Zohayr

hello everyone,
After my Exchange log files started to piling up and not being cleared after backups, i did a little research and realized that windows 2008 backup server is not exchange aware! this is just great because for this installation i purchased an all new Win. 2008 server and did a fresh install on top of the old win 2003 server.

Now i really regret having done that, and in a way feel cheated by MS. I mean as someone who also studied marketing management for 5 years, i totally understand MS's marketing strategy and i must say it is quite clever. But this is going too far i think. you could say the same thing for Public Folders and how MS pushes you to SharePoint in exchange 2007.

Anyways back on my question, now i am in need of a cheap and good backup solution for SMB. i had a look at this great website and found a number of them, on top is Sonasoft with the highest rating and good reviews. Not exactly cheap but it seems to do a good job of backing up exchange. My question is, what do you guys, as experienced exchange admins recommend for backing up exchange! Would you recommend sonsoft solution or are there other solutions i must look at! In addition i must say that i also use Public Folders heavily and do not use LCR at the momen, so the backup solution must be robust and fast!

Many thanks in advance
Z
Post #: 1
RE: Backing Up Exchange 2007 - 9.Nov.2009 12:03:57 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Do not feel cheated. Your are just using the wrong service pack for Exchange 2007. See: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/05/13/451311.aspx for SP2 and the old backup solution getting put back in.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to Zohayr)
Post #: 2
RE: Backing Up Exchange 2007 - 10.Nov.2009 11:31:09 AM   
Zohayr

Mark thank for your reply.
you are indeed right, but two things:
1. i do not dare to install SP2 without a full-backup. how should i approach this issue (if i should at all)?
2. is this MS solution robust and easy to use! i see that it is only VSS and not streaming, we normally do backups on other servers or NAS server depending on the size and speed needed.
3. would you recommend windows backup as the only backup solution for and SMB, with no LCR? if no what do you recommend?

thanks

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Backing Up Exchange 2007 - 10.Nov.2009 12:00:54 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Drop all the services on the server and then do a backup of the entire tin. That way you don't have to worry about application consistency because Exchange and IIS and everything else will be down and all the files will be closed.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to Zohayr)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> Backing Up Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter