• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

os repair, now exchange 2007 services not starting

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> os repair, now exchange 2007 services not starting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
os repair, now exchange 2007 services not starting - 11.Nov.2009 3:40:07 AM   
rcunningham

I repaired the Windows Server 2003 OS that our Exchange 2007 server is running on and now some of the Exchange Services won't start.  They say "Could not start the xx service on Local Computer.  Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".  It flashes very quickly after the start request.  The services are:  Anti-spam Update, EdgeSync, File Distribution, Mail Submission, Mailbox Assistants, Replication Service, Search Indexer, Service Host, Transport, Transport Log Search.

This is Windows Server Enterprise 2003 with Exchange Standard 2007

Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: os repair, now exchange 2007 services not starting - 11.Nov.2009 1:25:19 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

What are the events logged in the event log this may point you to the cause of the error.

Please post the events here so we can assist you in fixing the issue

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to rcunningham)
Post #: 2
RE: os repair, now exchange 2007 services not starting - 11.Nov.2009 4:03:43 PM   
rcunningham

That's just it, there's really no errors in the event log.  Definitely not when I try to start the services.  You know how services take a while sometimes before they either start or report that they can't?  This happens real quick1 or 2 seconds for any of the Exchange Services.  Here's a sample of event errors that happen when the server is first booted.  There's about 15 and they're all the same:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7009
Date:        11/11/2009
Time:        12:19:16 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    EXCHANGE07
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Microsoft Exchange Mail Submission service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 3
RE: os repair, now exchange 2007 services not starting - 11.Nov.2009 4:16:12 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

Was the server also a DC ?
If not it may be better to make a backup of the server and reinstall the OS and Exchange with the /recoverserver parameter.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

Post #: 4
SOLVED: RE: os repair, now exchange 2007 services not s... - 12.Nov.2009 7:22:41 PM   
rcunningham

Ok, I got it fixed.  I tried a lot of things but this is what worked:  General Steps:

1. Backup of the physical disks
2. Reset Domain Account (be careful because once you do this you may not be able to log on
3. Reload a new box using the same name (you may have to build it with another name and change it when ready)
4. Bring os up to the current updates & service packs.
5. Install all the rerequisites to Exchange 07 (I already knew these so it helped.  You may want to install it on a test box and determine all the prerequisites first.
5.5 Join back to the domain with the same name (note that my server was not a domain controller)
6. drop to dos and navigate to the folder when exchange's setup.com file is.
7. run setup.com /m:RecoverServer (read Microsoft's warnings about using this...when it works and when it doesn't) At first it wouldn't run then I realized I hadn't rebooted plus hadn't log in to a domain admin account, I was on a local account.
8. wait for it to complete
9. bring the mailbox database by mounting them
10. etc...

I still have to work out web access to the server so that solution isn't listed here.

Here's some web urls that may help someone else:
...understanding setup /m:recoverserver
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998656%28printer%29.aspx

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 5
RE: SOLVED: RE: os repair, now exchange 2007 services n... - 12.Nov.2009 7:25:46 PM   
rcunningham

...the forum didn't let me type so to continue, urls:

How to Move an Exchange 2007 Mailbox Server to New Hardware Keeping the Same Server Name
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332341%28printer%29.aspx

see shackdaddy's comment:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1535325&page=10

Hope this helps someone

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> os repair, now exchange 2007 services not starting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter