Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability

hunglikethor -> Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (13.Nov.2009 8:12:06 PM)

Currently have a single Exchange 2007 fully patched with all roles on a single server. I would like to add another Exchange Server at another site for redundancy.

If I added an Exchange 2010 Server at the second site could I set the 2007 and 2010 to work in this fashion?

If the answer to the above question is yes could I (at a later time) upgrade the Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 and maintain the redundancy?

Would appreciate links to help guide me through such a setup, presuming the answers to the above questions are yes.

Thanks in advance!

Edward Ray

rsmudliar123 -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (13.Nov.2009 10:06:04 PM)

Well sad to say that this is not possible. By design.
You can have Exchange 2007 & 2010 in co-existence, however you cannot have them for redundancy.
Inplace upgrade is again not possible.

hunglikethor -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (17.Nov.2009 12:42:14 AM)

Then how does one create a redundant Exchange 2010 setup, i.e. Exchange 2010 in multiple sites?

Presume that I have doen the 2007 to 2010 migration, and site has a single Exchange 2010 with all roles. Book and/or references sites for a How-to step-by-step would be appreciated.

rsmudliar123 -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (19.Nov.2009 2:14:58 PM)

Once you have moved to 2010 then you can have DAG created. Its Amazing to manage with less administrative effort.....

Here is the article.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638129(EXCHG.140).aspx

fergusstrachan -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (27.Nov.2009 10:52:55 AM)

After initial excitement about smaller businesses being able to get proper site-resilience using 2 multi-role servers in a DAG over 2 sites, it seems I may have to temper my excitement after reading about the Datacenter Activation Coordination Mode (DAC).
This helps prevent split-brain situations in 3 or more member DAGs but not for 2-member, which need to rely on the Windows cluster component, if I understand correctly.

Is a 2-member DAG also able to use a FSW on a 3rd server to try to combat split-brain?

Is there no info from MS other than "Extending a two-member DAG across multiple datacenters is a supported configuration", or am I not looking hard enough? :-)

catzodellamarina -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (8.Jan.2010 4:23:02 PM)

When you setup DAG and have 2 identical sites, does Exchange automatically connect the local clients to the closest mailbox server so they don't have to hit the server across the WAN link?

If the above is true, can I setup a 3rd location to ONLY have a mailbox server, and their clients can access mailboxes locally rather than over WAN?

fergusstrachan -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (9.Jan.2010 4:27:45 AM)

No mate, the user is directed to the active copy of the database on which his mailbox resides. DAG is a bit like SCR in respect that you can send out copies (passive) of the database to multiple Exchange servers, but you can only work with one at a time.

Would be nice to have many read/write copies, but that might be a bit hard. :-)

In order to minimise WAN traffic, you need to manually sort the mailboxes into a local active DB.

Ferg.

catzodellamarina -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (11.Jan.2010 10:16:43 AM)

I believe I understand but let me run this by you.

I have a West office and an East office connected with a WAN link.
Since there are no SG's in 2010 I can use a seperate DB's for my West office users, seperate for East. Then I can further select where the active DB resides for each, which in my case will be geographically based.

Is this correct?

fergusstrachan -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (11.Jan.2010 10:24:25 AM)

Yes, so essentially you have a DB for East and a DB for West.
You create 2 MBX servers (one on each site), and create your West and East DBs.
You then create a DAG that contains both DBs and tell it that the East DB should be active on the East server, and likewise with the West. If things go tits up, the other server will take over from the knackered one.

If you're talking about 2 MBX servers in a multi-site scenario, however, read about DAC etc from my post above.

This is my understanding anyway. I still have not enough experience with 2010 because all my customers are too scared. :-)
Hope this helps.

hunglikethor -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (13.Jan.2010 2:01:58 PM)

Thankis for info. Looking forward to deploying Exchange 2010 later this year once they allow me to upgrade my Exchange 2007.

vineja1 -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (26.Jan.2010 7:29:07 AM)

Hi,

Just extending this topic - assuming the dag scenario of east/west servers - If the WAN link fails between the sites, do both servers go into active/active with their databases?

How does it reconcile when the wan is restored?

Thanks

RobH -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (9.Mar.2010 11:51:57 AM)

Can I extend this topic a little further.

I have little experience of Exchange High Availability and disaster recovery but ...

I've been hearing a lot of talk about Virtualization being the way forward for resilience, high availability and disaster recovery - what is everybody’s opinion on this?

Thanks

Marc.dekeyser -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (23.Apr.2010 11:28:49 AM)

I'd generally advice against putting exchange servers in a failover. If you're performing a write operation during a failover your database has a large probability of getting corrupted.

I'd go with DAG for HA... You can virtualize the servers but leave them out of fail over

RobH -> RE: Exchange 2010 high availibility multi-site (26.Apr.2010 4:35:55 AM)

Hi thanks Marc.

Looks like I won't have the facilities (budget) to actually build a system with failover abilities.

We have invested in a Storage Area Network so my next option is one-to-one virtualisation on VMWare's free offering with OS file & data ALL on the SAN then offering the ability to run the Exchange server on another box following failure of the 'main' box. The SAN gives snap-shot abilites to 'backup' the Information store.

I'll read up more on DAG for HA (whatever that is)!

Thanks Rob

Page: [1]