• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

FSMO & Exchange on same server?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> FSMO & Exchange on same server? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FSMO & Exchange on same server? - 14.Nov.2009 4:00:26 PM   
ron97ws6

Currently running Server 2003/Exchange 2003 on same machine. Works fine for our modest uses.

Due to a small budget, I can only buy one Windows 2008 server, which would act as the domain controller (DC), Active Directory (AD) and file server. Is it possible to install Exchange Server 2010 on the same hardware? If so, what are the things I need to keep in mind before installation?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: FSMO & Exchange on same server? - 14.Nov.2009 4:05:20 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

Have a look at this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719(EXCHG.140).aspx

It propably will work when you install although Exbpa will warn you that it is not recommended to install Exchange on a DC. A better option in this case may be SBS version, but there's not a version available with Ex 2010 at this moment.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to ron97ws6)
Post #: 2
RE: FSMO & Exchange on same server? - 14.Nov.2009 4:26:29 PM   
ron97ws6

quote:

ORIGINAL: jveldh

Hi,

Have a look at this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719(EXCHG.140).aspx

It propably will work when you install although Exbpa will warn you that it is not recommended to install Exchange on a DC. A better option in this case may be SBS version, but there's not a version available with Ex 2010 at this moment.

Thank you for your interest in my topic. I have actually reviewed the article you posted, what I want to do was not mentioned, probably, because it is not a Microsoft best practice.

We all know that things can be done in real life that MS doesn't recommend. I'm hoping to find out if my scenario has be done successfully by someone.

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 3
RE: FSMO & Exchange on same server? - 29.Jan.2010 11:55:27 PM   
ron97ws6

What about running the DC directly on the hardware, with Exchange 2010 on a Microsoft Hyper-V machine? Anybody done this?

(in reply to ron97ws6)
Post #: 4
RE: FSMO & Exchange on same server? - 20.Mar.2010 1:46:59 PM   
ron97ws6

Update:

I now have a 2008R2 server machine that holds the FSMO roles, and hosts Exchange 2010 running in a VM. Despite the naysayers, the combination is working flawlessly for this SOHO.

In early March, I gutted a Dell Poweredge 830 server case and installed an Intel Core i7-920 with a Supermicro board populated with 12gig of Crucial memory. The system runs a RAID level 1 with WD drives.

I agree that VMWare's ESXi hardware requirements are much lighter than HyperV, but if you are building your own whitebox, the hardware support is much broader with Windows.

I found no insoluable problems to the domain controller being on the physical hardware and hosting the Exchange system. The DC gets 4gig of memory and Exchange 2010 is assigned 2 processors and 8Gig of memory. I have the Hyper-V manager set to start the Exchange system after the main system is fully loaded.

This is a nice, responsive, system, and the icing is that I'm getting all the improvements of Exchange 2010 with it's nice Outlook Web App instead of Exch 2007, on bloated SBS 2008.

(in reply to ron97ws6)
Post #: 5
RE: FSMO & Exchange on same server? - 22.Mar.2010 10:09:17 AM   
rishishah

This is exactly how i have it running and it is works flawlessly for me too and my SOHO.

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to ron97ws6)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> FSMO & Exchange on same server? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter