• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

CAS Array over WAN

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> CAS Array over WAN Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CAS Array over WAN - 24.Nov.2009 11:31:13 AM   
hschuman

Hello,

is it possible to setup/run a CAS Array over a WAN link?

The plan is to have a DAG group with 2 Servers in one site and another 2 servers in a second site. The sites are connected via 4Mbit leased line.

I was thinking to have one CAS Server of the Array in each of that site.

Will that work??

Thanks
Heiko
Post #: 1
RE: CAS Array over WAN - 22.Sep.2010 10:59:34 AM   
AndyHWC

Like to bump this thread.  Wonder what are the options available for CAS array over two different subnets. 

Is hardware load balancing the only option since Windows NLB doesn't work across two different subnets?

Anyone tried Round Robin DNS with CAS Array?

thanks

(in reply to hschuman)
Post #: 2
RE: CAS Array over WAN - 22.Sep.2010 11:26:19 AM   
travis.sheldon

As hschuman mentioned, windows NLB won't work if they're on different subnets.

You could create a point to point VPN tunnel for the NLB nic on each CAS server and then you'll have to plan if you're going to use unicast or multicast.

In theory, I would imagine that the load balancing would be terrible with a unicast setup. Since Windows NLB unicast modifies the mac of the NIC to match the mac of the NLB cluster, I think you would run into a lot of issues with getting the second server to properly communicate across the WAN in a VPN.

Multicast mode should work, but you'll have to configure the firewall and router to handle the virtual MAC

You may have to consider a hardware based load balancer to cleanly accomplish everything.. I'm planning on designing a CAS array that works between data centers in a couple months at work..we already have a local CAS array that runs beautifully..just need to start adding multi site resiliency.

< Message edited by travis.sheldon -- 22.Sep.2010 11:28:15 AM >

(in reply to AndyHWC)
Post #: 3
RE: CAS Array over WAN - 3.Oct.2010 1:11:09 AM   
kellylife

Nice post.

Zumba DVD
Supernatural DVD

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> CAS Array over WAN Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter