• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 7:37:18 AM   
Rice

Hello
I currently send mail out with an SMTP connector configured to send via a Smarthost. Our company is bringing another in house. I need to send their mail out via their current ISP. They are keeping their own domain name. I understand about configuring a recipient policy etc.
I'm pretty sure i need to set up a SMTP connector to send their mail via a Smarthost to their ISP. But how do i make sure that only their mail goes out via this route? 

Any help would be appreciated
Post #: 1
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 9:24:12 AM   
uemurad

By only including their domain name into the Address Space tab on the Connector properties.

If they are keeping their own domain name, unless you are planning to attach aliases to your users you shouldn't need to edit your Recipient Policy.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Rice)
Post #: 2
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 10:25:08 AM   
Rice

Thanks for that. This is whre my knowledge obviously falls down as I thought this was the answer too.
But in researching the problem, i came to the understanding that the address space was for domains that you send mail to and wasn't about where mail was coming from. But it's the only configurable tab i can see.

So now i'm really confused!!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 10:53:43 AM   
shauncroucher

There is a golden rule with Exchange routing which is this:

"Exchange routes mail based on destination, not source".

You cannot filter outbound mail by the 'sending' domain, only by the 'recipient domain', and this is why you are getting confused.

Is there a reason why you cannot use the same smarthost for both domains?

Shaun

Please Visit http://exchangeshell.wordpress.com for Exchange 2007 (mainly powershell) info.

(in reply to Rice)
Post #: 4
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 11:07:14 AM   
Rice

Many thanks once again.

The reason we can't use the same smart host - believe it or not - all comes down to the fact they have paid up to message labs for a number of years and want to continue to use them

(in reply to shauncroucher)
Post #: 5
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 11:09:21 AM   
uemurad

quote:

But in researching the problem, i came to the understanding that the address space was for domains that you send mail to and wasn't about where mail was coming from. But it's the only configurable tab i can see.
I misunderstood what you were trying to do.  Both you and Shaun are correct about the function of the Address Space configuration.

Let's take a step backwards here.  What are you trying to implement or correct?  Are you saying you will be hosting another SMTP domain within your Exchange Organization and that you need their outbound mail to route differently?

If that is your situation, you can create a Distribution Group made up of those other users and configure the Delivery Restriction in the Connector.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Rice)
Post #: 6
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 11:31:30 AM   
Rice

quote:

Let's take a step backwards here.  What are you trying to implement or correct?  Are you saying you will be hosting another SMTP domain within your Exchange Organization and that you need their outbound mail to route differently?

Yes, that is exactly what we are attempting.
I'm interested in your solution too, can you expand on it for me please?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 1:44:43 PM   
uemurad

quote:

I'm interested in your solution too, can you expand on it for me please?
Not sure how much more I can add. 

For sending messages

If you already created a new connector for this, open its properties.  If not, create a new connector.
On the Delivery Retrictions tab, you can define who will be using the connector by the sender.  So, create a Distribution Group and either include all the users in the other company, or just the users in yours.  Depending upon which set of users is in your group, add it to the Accept Messages From or Reject Messages From list and properly set the Default at the top.
On the General tab, configure the SmartHost for the other company's ISP.
On the Address Space tab, your only entry should be all ("*").

Receiving messages

You need to configure the MX record for that other company to point to your systems.
You need to create a Recipient Policy with the other company name in the address list, and edit that name so that Exchange is authoritative.
You'll want that company name to be stamped as the reply address, which also means you don't want to add that domain name to your existing policy (you want to continue to have a separate one to stamp your existing company name as the reply address).
You need to understand that exactly one Recipient Policy is applied to each AD object, so you have to make sure that the two groups can be exclusive via an LDAP query.

If you need additional information about any of this, you need to talk to a consultant or learn more about AD and Exchange on your own.  While the volunteers here at MSExchange.org try to answer all questions, it is hard to find the time to provide step-by-step instructions and explanations.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Rice)
Post #: 8
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 1:56:02 PM   
shauncroucher

If you don't have many users this solution should work fine, and the connector will be chosen once the restictions have been analysed.

You should be aware though, that you are introducing an overhead when allocating a distribution group to a SMTP connector.

See here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996449.aspx

Shaun

Please Visit http://exchangeshell.wordpress.com for Exchange 2007 (mainly powershell) info.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 3.Dec.2009 2:02:20 PM   
uemurad

Shaun makes an important point.  I got caught up in answering your question and didn't think through other solutions.  You should also be considering the creation of a separate Exchange server for that other company within your Organization so that you can route the messages according to which server the sending mailbox lives and not have to introduce additional processing.

You'll still have to deal with the Recipient Policy in any case.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 10
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 4.Dec.2009 5:29:31 AM   
Rice

Gentlemen

Thank you all for your help, it's appreciated. Everything mentioned about the MX records and recipient policies i understand and have configured for many of our international offices, it's just that this one company wants their mail routed through messagelabs, and wont budge up to this point.

I've got a few options for them now and will leave it up to them to decide. Many thanks once again

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 11
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 4.Dec.2009 11:02:28 AM   
jscheef

So why not route both companies thru MessageLab?

(in reply to Rice)
Post #: 12
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 4.Dec.2009 11:25:12 AM   
shauncroucher

I suspect because there will be a cost to doing this, the other domain would have to register to use the messagelabs facility.

Shaun

(in reply to jscheef)
Post #: 13
RE: Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors - 7.Dec.2009 4:10:18 AM   
Rice

quote:

ORIGINAL: shauncroucher

I suspect because there will be a cost to doing this, the other domain would have to register to use the messagelabs facility.

Shaun

In a nutshell.

Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Two Domains sending via different SMTP connectors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter