• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Routing mail during mail migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Routing mail during mail migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Routing mail during mail migration - 7.Dec.2009 11:50:00 PM   
evz

I'm currently migrating an email domain - bringing it in house, as it's currently externally hosted, obviously I need to maintain mail flow, but also need to try to pre-prepare the domain \ email setup as much as possible.

my setup is as follows

Single forest - bobbins.net
Child domains widgets.bobbins.net (email domain widgets.com) & gadgets.bobbins.net  (email domain gadgets.com)- each with their own email servers - but in the same organisation - all Exchange 2003

gadgets.com is currently an existing email domain, and up until yesterday the users in widgets domains were able to successfully email gadgets.com users. I added a recipient policy for gadgets.com to my newly created users in the gatgets.bobbins.net AD domain.

What is happening now is that if someone from widgets.com emails someone at gadgets.com, then the mail is internally resolved, and the mail is delivered to the new mailboxes to which the users have no access.  Ideally I need to temporarily route mail externally (I know this is totally against what exchange is designed for, but this is short term mail migration only)

I have configured the recipient policy so that the exchange organisation is not responsible for all mail delivery to this address too.  I tried some various connector scenarios, but may have been doing something a bit worng ?

Might the anser be to removed the gadgets.com mail address from the recipient policies  ? or has anyone else got any other suggestions

many thanks

Evz
Post #: 1
RE: Routing mail during mail migration - 8.Dec.2009 9:50:41 PM   
uemurad

I might be missing something, but it seems to me if you change the MX record, add the new domain to the recipient policy (including making Exchange authoritative), decide which domain will be the default reply address, then apply the policy, you'd be done.

None of that would be done until you knew that all the users had the ability to connect to the new mailboxes. Besides adding the Email address widgets.com to everyone's user object, what other preparation did you have in mind? What is keeping you from accepting the widgets.com mail now?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to evz)
Post #: 2
RE: Routing mail during mail migration - 8.Dec.2009 10:42:59 PM   
evz

Dean - thanks for the reply.  I think I have neglected to provide some further information.

Currently the users who will be logging onto the gadgets domain are accessing the externally hosted email solution.  This is a totally separate mail system - using a combination of OWA and Outlook using RPC over HTTP.

The users currently have gadgets.com email addresses - which are hosted on this external mail system.

All I have prepared is an exchange server in the bobbins.net domain for the gadgets.bobbins.net users to use, and prepared a recipient policy so that when I created the 250 users they all had a mail address correctly configured ready for the switch over.

The only part of my problem occurs when the other child domain (same mail org) tries to mail @gadgets.com, then it goes to the newly created empty mailboxes, to which the users do not yet have access.

I've read a few articles \ posts which claim that if I try to route all mail externally, then this is basically trying to break exchange.  It's taking the most efficient path to deliver an email, if exchange knows internally about a domain, then it will take that route instead of sending it through the internet.

I think I might be stuck - but it does appear to be only a few users who do need to mail from widgets.bobbins.net domain to gadgets,bobbins.net domain.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Routing mail during mail migration - 8.Dec.2009 11:24:45 PM   
uemurad

I'm still trying to get my head around your situation.
quote:

The only part of my problem occurs when the other child domain (same mail org) tries to mail @gadgets.com, then it goes to the newly created empty mailboxes, to which the users do not yet have access.
Can you (or did you already) remove gadgets.com from the Recipient Policy and from the user objects? It seems that everything should be fine if you can convince Exchange that gadgets.com is outside. To do that, change the Recipient Policy configuration so that Exchange is not responsible for gadgets.com (uncheck the box).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to evz)
Post #: 4
RE: Routing mail during mail migration - 9.Dec.2009 12:04:30 AM   
evz

oddly enough I had the problem a couple of weeks ago, which is when I unchecked the box on the recipient policy, and then mail delivery started working again.

I can't work out what has changed over the last week or so...as I've only been adding AD users (in the same way that I did when we originally started this project a few months ago)

I think the removal of the recipient policy and the smtp addresses from the recipients....and then add them back on later.

thanks for your suggestions so far.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Routing mail during mail migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter