• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Renamed server after install, now can't uninstall

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Renamed server after install, now can't uninstall Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Renamed server after install, now can't uninstall - 16.Dec.2009 2:54:53 PM   
mtracks

I'm in the process of testing out an Exchange 2007 SP1 environment where the CAS role is offloaded to a separate, new box.  I have an existing Exchange 2007 SP1 server (let's call it "exch01.domain.lan") running with CAS, Mailbox & Hub roles installed.  I installed the CAS role on a fresh server 2008 box (that I called "exchcas.domain.lan"), then for some reason, I decided to rename the server to "exch02.domain.lan".  The Exchange Management Console on the "exch01.domain.lan" now shows both servers under the Server Configuration -> Client Access tab, but the old name of the CAS server is listed there ("exchcas"). 

Now, I've tried uninstalling the CAS role on the new box using varies methods (Add/Remove, shell), but I keep getting an error.  What's worse, the error references the new server name:

Exchange server "exch02.domain.lan" was not found. Please make sure you have typed it correctly.

Why is Exchange so confused?! Any insight on how to correct this naming/uninstall issue would be extremely helpful.  (For what it's worth, I cannot rename the CAS server back since I've got certificates on order with the new name).
Post #: 1
RE: Renamed server after install, now can't uninstall - 16.Dec.2009 3:43:47 PM   
mark@mvps.org

If you can't rename it back and uninstall you need to use ADSIEDIT to tear the server out of AD.
You should never have tried to rename it and you're reaping the rewards for that.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to mtracks)
Post #: 2
RE: Renamed server after install, now can't uninstall - 16.Dec.2009 5:07:15 PM   
mtracks

So I managed to get somewhere....

I took your advice and wiped any reference of old name with ADSIEDIT.  Then, after some doing some searching, I stumbled across an article talking about incomplete Exchange installs (http://msmvps.com/blogs/ehlo/archive/2008/05/06/1614953.aspx). 

I ended up deleting the WATERMARK and ACTION keys here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\ClientAccessRole

This allowed me to fully uninstall Exchange without error.  I'm now reinstalling as we speak.  This should add the new CAS server name "exch02.domain.lan" to AD properly.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Renamed server after install, now can't uninstall - 17.Dec.2009 8:38:35 AM   
clementrosario

clean metadata using NTDSUTIL

(in reply to mtracks)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Renamed server after install, now can't uninstall Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter