• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition - 7.Jan.2010 4:01:33 PM   
robbyburmeister

Hello,

I'm planning my company's transition from Exchange 2003 to 2007.  I've been reading through the Technet infromation on Exchange 2007 and have a question about the best server configuration for our enviroment. 

Our current envirorment contains a backend and frontend server.   The frontend server is used for OWA and is the connection to our external e-mail.  Our AD enviroment is 2003 with 2 Server 2003 DCs and 2 Server 2008 x64 DCs.  At some point soon the 2003 DCs will be removed from the enviroment.

The Exchange Best Practices Anaylzer identifies our enviroment as a Simple configuration.  My thought is to put the 2007 mailbox role on one server and the client access and hub transport on another.  The client access and hub transport would be used for Outlook Anywhere and the connection to our SMTP gateway for external email.  Does this sound like a feasible configuration?

Thanks,
RB
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition - 12.Jan.2010 9:00:44 AM   
adrian.pettitt

Robby

It would seem a reasonable config. But more information on the SMTP gateway would be handy.
If this has your MX record and provides SPAM filtering and AV then I see no real issue.
The problem I would see is if your HUB server will be connecting with any SMTP servers you have no control over, inbound or out.
In fact this sounds similar to the configuration I am using, although NLB CAS/HUB and clustered Mailbox.
One thing to point out is Joe Jobbing, which I knew nothing about a few months ago. If your MX server can drop emails without accepting them for invalid email addresses then that would be best, otherwise your HUB server will be processing invalid email and then sending a reply of invalid user to an email address that may not have actually sent the email in the first place. An EDGE server can provide this if configured correctly.

Adrian

(in reply to robbyburmeister)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition - 12.Jan.2010 10:31:49 AM   
robbyburmeister

Our SMTP gateway contains our MX record and provides SPAM and AV filtering.  This sounds to me like the best configuration for my organization.  I think we are covered by our SMTP gateway and I'm assuming there isn't any issues with having your client access role inside your organization when hosting OWA for use over HTTP.

(in reply to adrian.pettitt)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition - 12.Jan.2010 11:07:24 AM   
adrian.pettitt

No problems with having CAS role insideorg, that is where it is designed to be. EDGE is considered to be only one outside.
Always use HTTPS for OWA.
Do not foget to plan your names before ordering a certificate. You need to have autodiscover.domain as well as owa.domain, servername is also a good idea as well as any names that differ for same services internally and externally. You wiill a SAN certificate, preferably from a root CA but if you can put up with certificate errors from mobiles you can ignore  the root part.

Adrian

(in reply to robbyburmeister)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition - 12.Jan.2010 11:14:58 AM   
robbyburmeister

Adrian,

Thanks for all of your help.  All the questions I have you have answered. 

(in reply to adrian.pettitt)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 to 2007 Transition Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter