• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

"Mailbox Role" Install fails after extremely long "Organisation Preperation" - Public Folders?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> "Mailbox Role" Install fails after extremely long "Organisation Preperation" - Public Folders? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Mailbox Role" Install fails after extremely ... - 7.Jan.2010 5:30:44 PM   
micron21

Hi!,

I recently decided to upgrade the organisation I work for's Active Directory / Exchange to something a bit more recent, both of which were previously running on 2K3 native modes.

Domain controller upgrading and decommissioning went fine without any issues and turned then in to w2k8 domain controllers running in native mode.

I then decided to install an Exchange 2010 domain server in to the existing Exchange 2003 platform mix so that I could move forward and eventually decomission the Exchange 2003 platform. This being done on a fresh Windows 2008, 64-bit machine.

I went with a typical installation (standard roles) and made sure that I had done everything on the checklist (including the domain prep stuff, etc, etc).

When going through the install it took ages for the "Organisation Preperation" to finish (2 hours 40 minutes), which I found a little strage.

However, I ran in to problems which appear to be associated with Public Folders when installing the Mailbox Role, which failed;
quote:

Mailbox Role
Failed

Error:
The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); if ($RoleCreatePublicFolderDatabase) { $publicDB = get-PublicFolderDatabase -Server:$RoleFqdnOrName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue; $DB = get-MailboxDatabase -Server:$RoleFqdnOrName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue; if ($publicDB -and $DB) { set-mailboxdatabase -Identity:$DB.Identity -publicFolderDatabase:$publicDB.Identity -DomainController $RoleDomainController } }" was run: "Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null.".

Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null.

Elapsed Time: 00:05:37

Would anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Obviously it doesn't like a certain string to be NULL, but as for which one and how to fix... I'm guessing it has something to do with the existing Exchange organisation / public folders... maybe even something that needs to be touched up with ADSI edit? :)

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Best Regards,
David.

Post #: 1
RE: "Mailbox Role" Install fails after extrem... - 7.Jan.2010 5:46:32 PM   
micron21

Hah...

Turns out that trying to add it as an additional role after re-entering setup fixed the problem..

Thanks anyway... if anyone had a look!

- David.

(in reply to micron21)
Post #: 2
RE: "Mailbox Role" Install fails after extrem... - 9.Jan.2010 2:22:38 AM   
SathishKumarElango

Hi David,
Thats a good one. I would like to add few more info. The error "Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null" is the Result of

1) Display name has leading or trailing whitespace
2) Alias (mailnickname) has spaces.
3) Extension Attributes: PSH and AD Schema Conflict

I guess in your scenario, Active replication fixed the AD Schema conflict automatically :)

< Message edited by SathishKumarElango -- 18.Jan.2010 11:47:58 PM >

(in reply to micron21)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> "Mailbox Role" Install fails after extremely long "Organisation Preperation" - Public Folders? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter