• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails - 28.Jan.2010 11:23:07 AM   
DILAN_108A

IS THIS THE CORRECT SETUP FOR MX RECORDS

Name TTL Class Type Data

Built in A records
*. DOMAIN.com 86400 IN A X.X.X.32
DOMAIN.com 86400 IN A X.X.X.32

Custom A records
mail.DOMAIN.com 86400 IN A X.X.X.214

Built in MX records
DOMAIN.com 86400 IN MX 10 mail.rag.com

Custom MX records
DOMAIN.com 86400 IN MX 10 mail.DOMAIN.com

OR DO I HAVE TO KEEP ONE MX RECORD AT 10 AND THE OTHER AT 20.

I DO NOT WANT ANY EMAIL DELAYED OR LOST EMAILS WHILE CHANGING THE MX RECORDS NOTE EMAILS ARE REACHING SUCCESSFULLY TO MAIL.RAG.COM BUT NEED EXCHANGE SERVER TO RECEIVE EMAIL as well..

thanks in advance..

(in reply to Jesper Bernle)
Post #: 21
RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails - 28.Jan.2010 2:19:54 PM   
uemurad

When creating multiple MX records, there are two possibilities.

1.  The values are the same
2.  The values are not the same

When you have two MX records with different values, the lowest number is always returned.  The only time the next-lowest number is used is when the first does not respond.

When you have two MX records with identical values, DNS attempts to return the information in a round-robin fashion.  Since there is no guarantee of which DNS server will ultimately be reached for any given query, there is no guarantee of exactly equal load-balancing.  You just have to know that any one of the identical values can be returned for a query.

You can also not guarantee that every DNS query will return updated information.  The TTL can be used to force refreshes.  86400 is the number of seconds in 24 hours so even at best you can expect a 24-hour delay in outside systems seeing the new MX record.

As far as your question about how to configure the values, you have to decide whether you want one of the MX records to take precedent, or whether you want them both to be accessible. 

You cannot guarantee an immediate cutover.  Most systems cache DNS information so that they don't have to constantly make queries - there is nothing you can do about that.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to DILAN_108A)
Post #: 22
RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails - 28.Jan.2010 2:39:59 PM   
DILAN_108A

so if i configure the following mentioned below

does that mean it will query the exchange if it can not find the mailbox..... it will fail over to the hosted provider..

Built in A records

Custom A records

Built in MX records
DOMAIN.com 86400 IN MX 20 mail.rag.com (POP hosted service provider)

Custom MX records
DOMAIN.com 86400 IN MX 10 mail.DOMAIN.com (in house exchange)

Furthermore.. email which coming into the email test email.. are getting held back in the queue.. do i need to make some changes to internal dns?? or exchange setting....
further more intest test email shows that email alias associated - email are not getting delivered to them....

do i need to make changes to recipent policy???

thanks in advance

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 23
RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails - 28.Jan.2010 4:03:49 PM   
VijayaRelangovan

Please go through the link to set up the exchange server for sending and receiving emalis

http://forums.msexchange.org/m_1800512378/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#1800512378

With regards,
VJ
MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging
http://learnmsexchange.wordpress.com/

(in reply to DILAN_108A)
Post #: 24
RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails - 28.Jan.2010 4:10:48 PM   
uemurad

quote:

does that mean it will query the exchange if it can not find the mailbox..... it will fail over to the hosted provider
Not exactly.  It's whether that FQDN doesn't respond to an SMTP communication request.  If a server answers, the sending system just assumes that a delivery failure will be retried later.

quote:

Furthermore.. email which coming into the email test email.. are getting held back in the queue.. do i need to make some changes to internal dns?? or exchange setting....
further more intest test email shows that email alias associated - email are not getting delivered to them....

do i need to make changes to recipent policy???
Which direction are these messages going?  Inside-to-outside or outside-to-inside?  Is this a new SMTP domain name added to existing user objects?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to DILAN_108A)
Post #: 25
RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails - 28.Jan.2010 4:56:30 PM   
DILAN_108A

I have followed the instruction in the link you provided and all the configurations are correct., however the emails are not coming into the exchange server..

Also,

when i send an internal email > testuser to testuser1 both users can receive email, however if testuser1 does not receive an email from "tu" which is an alias of tesuser.

how can i configure this???

< Message edited by DILAN_108A -- 28.Jan.2010 4:59:38 PM >

(in reply to VijayaRelangovan)
Post #: 26
RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails - 28.Jan.2010 5:06:19 PM   
DILAN_108A

Built in A records

Custom A records

Built in MX records
DOMAIN.com 86400 IN MX 20 mail.rag.com (POP hosted service provider)

Custom MX records
DOMAIN.com 86400 IN MX 10 mail.DOMAIN.com (in house exchange)

In a nutshell - > DOMAIN.com > are receiving emails successfully via mail.rag,com - as they are popping..

mx records have been set to
10 mail.DOMAIN.com
10 mail.rag.com

i want mails to hit mail.domain.com but if it fails i want them to go to mail.rag as users are able to receive email successfully.

mail.domain.com is the in-house exchange which has got problems at the mo which i;m also trying to sort out..

many thanks

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 27
RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails - 29.Jan.2010 4:07:53 AM   
DILAN_108A

Hi all,,,,, i've also found out now that i'm unable to send the recieve internally between users

please can you tell me where i can start troubleshooting from..

note i can get connected to OWA and and able to find users from the address list..

i forgot to mention that the domain.com name is the same name for the internal domain (all workstation are bounded to the name "domain"

would this cause problems in regards to emails i.e authoratitive

many thanks

< Message edited by DILAN_108A -- 29.Jan.2010 5:19:32 AM >

(in reply to DILAN_108A)
Post #: 28
RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails - 29.Jan.2010 10:52:05 AM   
uemurad

Okay - let's back up here.  Let's start from the beginning.

Did it ever work correctly, or is this a new function you're trying to get working?
Is this a new server?
Is this a new Exchange Organization?
Is this a new Active Directory forest or domain?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to DILAN_108A)
Post #: 29

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> RE: Exchange 2003 - Unable to recieve external mails Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter