• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Routing Groups

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Exchange Routing Groups Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Routing Groups - 1.Feb.2010 5:54:27 AM   
Oliver Leach

Hi,

I have a question around routing groups in exchange 2003. We have 3 sites nationally in Sydney, Mebourne and Brisbane and each site has an exchange 2003 Standard server. The current exchange implementation has all 3 servers in one routing group under one administrative group. We have 6 SMTP connectors which deal with different namespaces. I would like to propose that we split the current routing group into 3 routing groups and add each sites exchange server as the routing group bridgehead server.

So in effect I want Sydney Routing Group, Melbourne Routing Group and a Brisbane Routing Group. The Sydney exchange server will be the brigehead server specified in the routing group connector to brisbane and a routing group connector to Melbourne. The Melbourne exchange server will be the bridgehead server specified in the routing group connector to Sydney and the routing group connector to Brisbane. The Brisbane exchane server will be the bridgehead server specified in the routing group connector to Sydney and the routing group conector to Melbourne.

The reason why we need routing groups, even though we have only one exchange server per site, is to give us more control in using SMTP connectors. I need to set up TLS for a client using the sydney server but do not need TLS for Melbourne or Brisbane. I also had a recent issue where I directed hotmail via an SMTP connector using a hotmail namespace and the tower used as a smart host got bocked due to spamming issues. The effected everyone in the exchange organisation. I don't want this to happen and therefore would like to implement routing groups to give me more control over what routes where.

hope this makes sense? It's my first post here but would welcome feedback?!

Cheers everyone and TIA

Oli

< Message edited by Oliver Leach -- 1.Feb.2010 6:08:13 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange Routing Groups - 1.Feb.2010 9:15:25 AM   
uemurad

It sounds like you understand what Routing Groups (RG) are and how they function.  To recap, the key points are this:

1.  All members of a RG will communicate directly with each other without additional configuration
2.  Each RG must have at least one bridgehead to be able to communicate with systems outside the RG
3.  Each RG must have at least one Connector to be able to communicate with systems outside the RG
4.  A non-bridgehead server will send all outbound traffic through a bridgehead within that same RG

Know that you are making your routing much more complex.  That isn't a bad thing, as it sounds like you have some specific needs - it will just make troubleshooting routing issues more complex as well.  Take this opportunity to document your settings and your intentions.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Oliver Leach)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange Routing Groups - 1.Feb.2010 4:25:05 PM   
Oliver Leach

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am comfortable with routing groups and part of my investigation is to ask other people like yourself for their opinions. You can never research too much!

I have actually been thinking that I only need to create one additional routing group. Each site has it's own administrator for exchange and I administer the Sydney office. Rather than propose other sites following my instructions and to meet just my requirements, I will just create a routing group for my server. Then all I need is a bridge head server to connect my routing group to what is currently labelled the default routing group which will house the Melbourne and Brisbane servers.

My question is how many brigde head servers and routing group connectors do I need? I will have 2 routing groups, 1 exchange server in 1 routing group and 2 exchange servers in in the other.

TIA

Oli

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange Routing Groups - 1.Feb.2010 10:34:52 PM   
uemurad

When you are talking about connectors, the term bridgehead is used to define which servers are allowed to communicate to systems outside the Routing Group. When you are configuring an SMTP connector, the term "local bridgehead" is used. When you are configuring a RGC, the term "remote bridgehead" is used, but "local bridgehead" is not.

On the RGC General tab, you can configure "Any local server...", or specify the servers. This represents your local bridgehead(s).

On the RGC Remote Bridgehead tab, you configure which of the servers in the receiving RG the connector can send to (by pointing at its SMTP Virtual Server).

You'll need one RGC in each RG (one for each direction). How many total bridgeheads you configure is up to you. Obviously you need at least one sending system and one recipient system defined in each Connector.

If you decide to have three RGs, then you'll need to make sure messages have a path to get from each server to each of the others. That could mean each RG has two Connectors, but other configurations are also possible.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Oliver Leach)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange Routing Groups - 2.Feb.2010 3:27:06 AM   
oliverleach

Perfect - thanks for your input.

So to wrap up this post, I will have 2 Routing Groups, A & B, and 2 Routing Group Connectors, one in each RG. Each RGC will connect in one direction, A to B & B to A. Both RGC's will have a local bridgehead server and a remote bridgehead server specfied.

All makes sense to me. Thank you for you help!

Oli

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Exchange Routing Groups Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter