• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

BCC issues

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> BCC issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BCC issues - 1.Feb.2010 2:05:41 PM   
NYSCAA

When sending to multiple addresses in the BCC field if one address is bad, the addresses after it do not send. I am refering to an address which is inaccurate, not one that is malformed. I know I can delete the problem email/address and things will straighten out, but that is not a real solution.

Is there a setting, patch, whatever that tells exchange to NDR the wrong address and go ahead and deliver the others?

thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: BCC issues - 1.Feb.2010 2:15:50 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Err, no. They don't. Exchange parcels the messages up and creates separate sub-queues to each of the destination domains. Even if you had 10 messages to a particular domain and the (alphabetically) 7th address was bad they'd all go through and you'd get one back.
What are you actually doing here?
We need to know a lot more.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to NYSCAA)
Post #: 2
RE: BCC issues - 1.Feb.2010 2:18:54 PM   
NYSCAA

While your statement is how I would expect Exchange to act, it is in fact not what is happening. This is something I have reproduced several times. SBS 2k3Premium / Exchange 2k3

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: BCC issues - 1.Feb.2010 2:22:28 PM   
NYSCAA

Additional info:

If while things are in this stuck condition, I restart the SMTP virtual server, things do behave as expected, and the rest go, and the bad address NDRs .

But again, not a solution, as I cannot balways e around to restart it when this happens

(in reply to NYSCAA)
Post #: 4
RE: BCC issues - 1.Feb.2010 2:26:10 PM   
mark@mvps.org

I've moved you into the SBS group.
Don't have an answer for you. I can't see it being a pure SBS thing but it's always best to put SBS questions into SBS specific groups.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to NYSCAA)
Post #: 5
RE: BCC issues - 1.Feb.2010 2:29:05 PM   
VijayaRelangovan

As Mark said, Thats the way the exchange server expected to work. But if you can explain your problem bit more it would be easier for us to diagnose.

Info like
1. Is that the mail sent to users internally
2. Is that the mail sent to external users, if so do you have any smart host
3. Is that a DL

and more info

< Message edited by VijayaRelangovan -- 1.Feb.2010 2:31:49 PM >

With regards,
VJ
MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging
http://learnmsexchange.wordpress.com/

(in reply to NYSCAA)
Post #: 6
RE: BCC issues - 2.Feb.2010 7:45:59 AM   
NYSCAA

Internally hosted SBS 2k3 Premium with Exchange 2k3 and Outlook 2003. All patch levels are current. Using default SMTP Virtual Server using my ISPs smarthost.

When sending with multiple addresses in the BCC if an address is invalid it stops emails from sending. So, if the 8th address of 20 is no good, numbers 1-7 send fine, number 8 - 20 hang, as do all emails after this point until I clear the issue. This has happened several times over the past few months. I can clear the issues either by NDR on the bad address, or by restarting the SMTP VS.

These are a mixture of internal and external addresses, with the problem addresses being externals which are invalid, not malformed. I believe they are all to invalid domains, not just non-existing users in a valid domain. These are exchange side distribution lists built with A.D. Contacts which point to external user's SMTP addresses. I have not seen this on anything other than distribution lists, though I have not tested if it will do it on non-dls. Yes, I am using a smarthost. This only occurs with the BCC. The same addresses in To behave as you would expect, the bad one bouncing and the good ones ignoring it and sending.

(in reply to VijayaRelangovan)
Post #: 7
RE: BCC issues - 2.Feb.2010 9:51:27 AM   
uemurad

I'd suggest speaking to your ISP whether that is expected behavior from their smarthost.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to NYSCAA)
Post #: 8
RE: BCC issues - 2.Feb.2010 9:53:51 AM   
NYSCAA

Why doesn't exchange send the rest of the emails? I can understand why the smart host fails the problem address, but exchange should simply move on to the next address, and then the rest of the emails in the queue.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: BCC issues - 2.Feb.2010 10:03:34 AM   
uemurad

It could be that the smarthost is terminating the communication session.  Understand that a common spamming technique is putting a single TO address and a bunch of BCC addresses - often randomly generated.  That's why often users will complain that they received spam messages not even addressed to them.  It would make sense that an ISP smarthost would check for such things.

Talk to your ISP - I suspect that it is a guard against spammers and zombie attacks.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to NYSCAA)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> BCC issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter