• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Your SOP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> Your SOP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your SOP - 5.Feb.2010 10:30:10 AM   
catzodellamarina

This is my 2nd Exch cluster I've admin'd in the 2nd company. My previous experince was complete freedom to failover and use the cluster high availibility if needed for my administrative purposes. As we all know, a failover of Exch causes a slight burp in Outlook, which is easily recoverable or goes unnoticed many times. Not enough to measure downtime.

In the current company, mgmt won't allow a manual cluster failover unless after hours or weekends. Any slight interruption of Outlook is a denial of service to them. Anyone else live with this SOP?
Post #: 1
RE: Your SOP - 5.Feb.2010 10:39:20 AM   
mark@mvps.org

If it's CCR you never fail back. The whole idea is that the two are identical and you carry on going until the next patch tuesday or the next failover. CCR has two way log replication so you don't have to re-seed unless something went wrong with a database.

If it's SCC you never fail back during business hours. Never. It's a scheduled outage at an acceptable time.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to catzodellamarina)
Post #: 2
RE: Your SOP - 5.Feb.2010 10:49:56 AM   
catzodellamarina

Yes it's CCR. Rarely I need to failover but sometimes it's for patch installs that got stuck overnight and need a server reboot. The failover is 10 sec's.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Your SOP - 5.Feb.2010 10:52:15 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Unless you're doing CCR badly (i.e. wrong) then you never should fail back.

List Moderator

Post #: 4
RE: Your SOP - 5.Feb.2010 10:55:36 AM   
catzodellamarina

So let me get this straight. CCR never needs manual failover? Regardless of the situation? This means we should be pushing out our monthly updates to 1 cluster node, and let it replicate to the 2nd? No rebooting needed even if it's asking?

Post #: 5
RE: Your SOP - 5.Feb.2010 11:05:36 AM   
mark@mvps.org

I said nothing of the sort.
If CCR fails over you go and fix it. At no point do you NEED to fail it back because it's in the same data centre on identical hardware and with identical disk behind it and has the right backup solution on it.
If the node fails over you fix the failed one and make sure that the replication is still working (reseed what you need to) and then you wait until the node it's on fails over again. Failover is automatic. Failback should firstly never be done or if you need to make the other node active the proper term is fail over, not fail back.

Stop over thinking this.

List Moderator

Post #: 6
RE: Your SOP - 5.Feb.2010 1:05:20 PM   
catzodellamarina

OK. I had to step back and think "normal" again. You're right, under normal circumstances, it's a cluster and I should be able to run on either operationally. In my unique situation, I need to run on a designated primary node or my 3rd party backup product doesn't run the nightly brick level jobs. I won't get into all of the details but let's just say it's not as cluster aware as it should be. Sorry with my confusion. I misunderstood your direction and I also wasn't telling my whole story.

In the event you need to manually failover, would you always classify it as an afterhours task? Just looking for some feedback.

Post #: 7
RE: Your SOP - 5.Feb.2010 1:57:08 PM   
mark@mvps.org

In which case the failover is obviously automatic but the failback to the desired production node would be done manually during an agreed change control window. Always.

List Moderator

Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> Your SOP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message