• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

What SMTP gateways can I use to handle sending mail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> What SMTP gateways can I use to handle sending mail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What SMTP gateways can I use to handle sending mail - 11.Feb.2010 11:16:53 AM   
midiman

Hi I am new to Exchange and I want to allow outgoing mail in my domain.

I can create a send connector, but I need to specify a SMART HOST/External SMTP server address. Which I dont have.

I assume a SMTP server will relay the messages to other SMTP servers around the world.

What SMTP servers can I use? Are there any free ones?

I really need help on sending outbound mail.
Post #: 1
RE: What SMTP gateways can I use to handle sending mail - 11.Feb.2010 11:23:02 AM   
mark@mvps.org

"Need"? How can you 'need' when you don't have one?
Is your firewall/gateway (whatever) on a fixed IP? If it is then you don't need the smarthost. If you are on a dynamic IP from your ISP then you need to call your ISP to get their SMTP relay address (either IP or host name, doesn't matter)

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to midiman)
Post #: 2
RE: What SMTP gateways can I use to handle sending mail - 11.Feb.2010 11:51:31 AM   
midiman

I,m on AOL and have a dynamic address.

What does the SMTP relay do then?

Why wouldnt I need a SMTP relay if I had a static IP?

Is SMART HOST the same as a SMTP relay?

Thanks

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: What SMTP gateways can I use to handle sending mail - 11.Feb.2010 12:06:32 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Yes, a smarthost is the same as an SMTP relay. If you're on AOL what are you doing running an Exchange server?
Anyway, you will have email settings from AOL that tell you what your POP3 configuration is. There will be one, like "pop.aol.com" and another like "smtp.aol.com" (whatever, I don't care) that you will have already. You use the latter in the box.
Why?
Because you're on a dynamic address you will have a lot of recipients who will reject your messages because they could be spam. The only solution is for you to route through something fixed, known and valid. That's what the relay is for.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to midiman)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> What SMTP gateways can I use to handle sending mail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter