• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Possible to Restore Distribution Lists - No AD

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Possible to Restore Distribution Lists - No AD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Possible to Restore Distribution Lists - No AD - 8.Mar.2010 8:33:17 AM   
janette.martin

The WIN2003Small Business Server is totally rebuilt. New drives, new install, etc. It was and still is the only server on the domain, named the same as the old one. There were large Distribution Lists including outside contacts we would now like to restore vs. hand enter. We have backup tapes, but there is no old AD. Is this possible and how?

Thanks for any help!
Post #: 1
RE: Possible to Restore Distribution Lists - No AD - 8.Mar.2010 9:01:52 AM   
mark@mvps.org

All of that information was in AD.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to janette.martin)
Post #: 2
RE: Possible to Restore Distribution Lists - No AD - 8.Mar.2010 9:40:32 AM   
janette.martin

I believe the backup tapes have System State. Would this be enough to recreate AD - the old domain and restore exchange and in turn the Distribution lists and contacts? Are you laughing right now? Should I start collecting the info and start manual data entry?

Thanks again. I don't want any false hope.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Possible to Restore Distribution Lists - No AD - 8.Mar.2010 9:47:39 AM   
mark@mvps.org

If you have the system state of the SBS box you can get yourself back to how it used to be - at least to the point that backup was taken. You should not have done that rebuild. You will probably end up breaking some of the new work you did. You should have taken advice before you did the rebuild. Ahh, hindsight.......

List Moderator

Post #: 4
RE: Possible to Restore Distribution Lists - No AD - 8.Mar.2010 12:47:51 PM   
janette.martin

Ok. I should have told the whole story. There was a 'pucture' in the mirror array of the server. The exchange part of the backup had been failing for about a week already. Dell sent both replacement drives and so we recreated array, new OS and new domain. We backed up all emails to local psts, and manually copied files off the server. We got everything back together and then someone asked the fatal question: Where are the distribution lists? 

So, I know we would need extra equipment to reinstall the OS and Exch. But the question is really, after that is possible or not? I don't want to go to all this trouble if it's not possible. The extra hardware I cold use would be different. Does that matter? Can we do this virtually?

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 5
RE: Possible to Restore Distribution Lists - No AD - 8.Mar.2010 12:54:25 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Sure.
Get some spare hardware or space on a VMware box or Virtual PC (I don't care, work it out yourself).
One you've done that you stick Windows on the guest. Then you restore the system state from the backup. That gets your AD back.
Then you can use CSVDE to get all the accounts, contacts and groups out.

Now, that's a little bit of text and a lot to take in. See you at the end of the week once you've digested the information, done the additional research and then built the bits you need.

List Moderator

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Possible to Restore Distribution Lists - No AD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter