• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Setting up Exchange 2003

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Setting up Exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Setting up Exchange 2003 - 9.Mar.2010 7:26:51 PM   
jjangell

I know enough to be dangerous...For some reason I ended up being the default IT guy here and now have to figure out how to deploy an exchange server.

SO...I have a server 2003 R2 box that I have installed Exchange 2003 on...I set up the machine as a domain controller with the parent company domain xxx.com.

I now want to set up exchange on this box...But first want to test the mail with another domain that we own that currently has POP3 mail from HostPC associated with it...

Its at this point that my expertise runs out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction a to info on how to do this? Or is this even possible given that the domain controller is set to xxx.com and I want to test mail with yyy.com?
Post #: 1
RE: Setting up Exchange 2003 - 10.Mar.2010 9:50:43 AM   
uemurad

Exchange is an example of a technology that while it runs no one sees the need to have any in-house expertise, but when it fails everyone assumes the nearest IT person should be able to correct (it's just a computer program after all).

Setting up Exchange isn't necessarily complicated or difficult, but you need to know what you are doing and why.  This is as polite of a way as I can think of to tell you not to take this on yourself.  Go find a reputable vendor to perform the installation - you'll be happy you did later.

I know that's the not answer you were hoping for, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone currently working with messaging who started by setting up a new Exchange Organization not knowing anything beforehand.  Have someone else set it up correctly (no guessing during installation), then poke around and learn what things do.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jjangell)
Post #: 2
RE: Setting up Exchange 2003 - 13.Mar.2010 7:05:34 PM   
jjangell

quote:

ORIGINAL: uemurad

Exchange is an example of a technology that while it runs no one sees the need to have any in-house expertise, but when it fails everyone assumes the nearest IT person should be able to correct (it's just a computer program after all).

Setting up Exchange isn't necessarily complicated or difficult, but you need to know what you are doing and why.  This is as polite of a way as I can think of to tell you not to take this on yourself.  Go find a reputable vendor to perform the installation - you'll be happy you did later.

I know that's the not answer you were hoping for, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone currently working with messaging who started by setting up a new Exchange Organization not knowing anything beforehand.  Have someone else set it up correctly (no guessing during installation), then poke around and learn what things do.

I hear ya...I guess I was hoping to gain some experience in doing this...

There is no pressure on me to "get it ight by tomorrow"

Just looking fr some direction...Kind of an "exchange Server for Dummies" Tutorial

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Setting up Exchange 2003 - 13.Mar.2010 7:40:31 PM   
uemurad

I commend you for being ready and willing to take on this task.  There are plenty of things to learn from supporting a running system - it's how the vast majority of us  started.  Before you know it you'll be dealing with user questions and digging through documentation and books and forums for answers - that's what MSExchange.org is all about.

If you have specific questions about features and configurations, please don't hesitate to ask

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jjangell)
Post #: 4
RE: Setting up Exchange 2003 - 13.Mar.2010 7:54:43 PM   
jjangell

Thanks Dean.

Can you reccomend any reads for this?

I was hoping to find a Exchange Server 2003 for Dummies book...But it appears one does not exist.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: Setting up Exchange 2003 - 13.Mar.2010 8:27:55 PM   
uemurad

I always recommend the books written by Jim McBee.  They are most useful as reference books and I keep them at my desk ready for use.  He wrote two books for Exchange 2003 - one being an extended version of the other.  "Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Advanced Administration" is the newer one.  You can find it at Amazon and other on-line bookstores.  It's a lot of information packed in there.

The tutorials and articles here at MSExchange.org are also good to read through.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jjangell)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Setting up Exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter