• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA on different server necassary?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA on different server necassary? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA on different server necassary? - 11.Mar.2010 5:39:45 PM   
themainframe

Im familer in alot of aspects of netoworking with exchange being my weakest topic..

I am trying to help out a small company optimize the equipment they have as times are tight and they need to get the most out of what they have... They currently are in need of a few more servers to realize a few goals they would like to accomplish and i came across two email servers... One hosting Exchange 2007 and another whom's only role is OWA.

Was there initial reasoning behind dedicating a server to just OWA that im not aware of or is it acceptable to have Exchange and OWA hosted of the same server? If possible id love to just get OWA installed on the Exchange server and utilize the remaining server to accomplish there goals without having to spend money on new equipment
Post #: 1
RE: OWA on different server necassary? - 6.Apr.2010 8:00:09 PM   
frankg

Initial questions have to be how many users and how important is the Exchange mail to the company and what is their license agreements with Microsoft. OWA can obviously be hosted on the same box but then one has to consider system security against costs (hardware and licenses) especially if access is also external.

My arguement with financial directors is it costs peanuts to run exchange as its for EVERYONE and it creates money via sales and customer contact, especially important in these hard times. Do you stick an edge server in the DMZ with OWA? Show them the costs of Cloud v hosted v inhouse and then they will understand, Exchange is a valuable asset not something to cut costs on. If there is no external requirement and therefore no edge server then YES maybe its worth considering but I would go for 2010 and would want min 2 servers for high availability anyway - but its about costs, nos users, budgets isnt it, just give them the options and let them choose - its their money its their business, you are only there to advise.

(in reply to themainframe)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA on different server necassary? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter