• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Defragment doesn’t affect

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Defragment doesn’t affect Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defragment doesn’t affect - 28.Mar.2010 6:31:27 AM   
yabuemera

Hi All,
I have exchange 2003 STD and by using the SP2 and the registry key I extended the storage to be 75 GB, and I locate the DBs to another location and every time I went to defrag the Priv1.edb and waiting a lot of time, I surprised that the it is the same size? And I did the defrage on another location and the same result, could help me please, it is growing quickly and I can’t stop it even I decrease all mailboxes Quota.

Yahya A. Emera
Post #: 1
RE: Defragment doesn’t affect - 28.Mar.2010 9:03:46 AM   
shauncroucher

Unless you are running out of Physical disk space, or the backup window is very tight, it is a waste of time running an offline defrag, can take ages to complete and can cause data loss.

The 75GB registry limit is based on the logical size of the database and NOT the physical size. So that means that it will be the physical size you can see when looking at the EDB and STM files and then subtract the 'white space' of your database by looking for event ID 1221 in the application event log.

To free space, you will need to delete items and mailboxes as you see fit, and then wait until the deleted item retention period has expired AND a online maintenance task has run (by default overnight every night). This will mark the deleted data as available 'white space'.

Shaun

Please Visit http://exchangeshell.wordpress.com for Exchange 2007 (mainly powershell) info.

(in reply to yabuemera)
Post #: 2
RE: Defragment doesn’t affect - 29.Mar.2010 6:40:03 AM   
yabuemera

Hi Shaun,
first, thanks you.
i did the online defrag and i found that in the event 1221" The database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (IBM-SERVER)" has 29520 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated."  and till now the phiscal size is the same (37GB edb and 19 GB stm ) so what shall i do to use this free space and decrease the size of the database.?
thanks

Yahya A. Emera

(in reply to shauncroucher)
Post #: 3
RE: Defragment doesn’t affect - 29.Mar.2010 11:04:09 AM   
shauncroucher

Hi,

If you have the 30GB or so white space then running an online defrag through to completion should reduce the physically file size by 30GB, however I advise against doing this UBLESS you have physical disk space issues or backup windows time is tight because there is n other reason to reduce physical size.

The logical size which is physical-white space is used to enforce the 75GB limit.

Shaun

Please Visit http://exchangeshell.wordpress.com for Exchange 2007 (mainly powershell) info.

(in reply to yabuemera)
Post #: 4
RE: Defragment doesn’t affect - 29.Mar.2010 11:10:50 AM   
uemurad

First, understand that you don't need to do anything with your whitespace. Exchange will write messages into that space until it is used up. Only then will the database files physically grow in size.

That said, 29GB of whitespace in a 56GB database (EDB + STM) is fairly large, but unless you have a shortage of disk space, or your backups exceed your window, it doesn't hurt anything to have that much whitespace.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to yabuemera)
Post #: 5
RE: Defragment doesn’t affect - 26.May2010 8:47:43 AM   
gpastore

Hello...newb here.

If I create a new IS and move over all my mailboxes to the new store from a store that has quite a bit of White space, does the white space move into the new (IS) Information Store as well or just the mailboxes? I'm know I would need to redo my backup jobs from scratch but I'm trying to determine if this would help NOT have to run ESUTIL...

Thanks for any replies and glad to be in the forum.

Regards,
Gio

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: Defragment doesn’t affect - 26.May2010 10:45:10 AM   
uemurad

Moving mailboxes only moves the messages - whitespace is not moved.
As always, watch your 1221 Application Log Events to see how much whitespace is in any particular Mailbox Store.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to gpastore)
Post #: 7
RE: Defragment doesn’t affect - 26.May2010 12:16:00 PM   
gpastore

Thank you uemurad,

Whitespace =
  1.  22,477 MB in one store
  2. 2,717    MB in another
  3. 1,599   MB in another
  4. _________________ Anticipated New store

So my thought was to create a 4th InformationStore, move the mailboxes into the new store - Dismount old store and after a week, delete the old store. In theory, we should have now reclaimed about 21 GB of space, yes?

The primary reason for this approach is to keep the Mailboxes's up and available for as long as possible minimizing down time during the maintenance window and reclaiming as much disk space as possible. ESUTIL /any switch has never been performed on this server. It has been in production for 4 + years and had quite a bit of mailboxe changes, deletions additions, etc...Currently, 2 of 3 Information store sizes have exceeeded the 16 GB threshold and I am concerned with doing the offline defrag and the system not re-mounting.

Prior to creating the new store, we planned on upgrading to SP2 for Exchange. (We are already running SP2 for the OS - W2K3 Standard Ed) -
Would you handle it any different than this? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated...
  1. Backup System
  2.  Apply SP2 for Exchange
  3. Reboot and verify System is up and stable
  4. Create Full backup again
  5. Create new Information Store
  6. Move mailboxes to new store from one store and a few more from another
  7. Perfom another Full backup
  8. Dismount Old store
  9. Delete Old store after a week passed

_______?

Regards,
Gio

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: Defragment doesn’t affect - 26.May2010 3:06:57 PM   
uemurad

quote:

So my thought was to create a 4th InformationStore, move the mailboxes into the new store - Dismount old store and after a week, delete the old store. In theory, we should have now reclaimed about 21 GB of space, yes?
Correct.
quote:

ESUTIL /any switch has never been performed on this server.
That is not unusual, nor is it a bad thing. ESEUTIL should only be used when absolutely necessary.
quote:

Currently, 2 of 3 Information store sizes have exceeeded the 16 GB threshold and I am concerned with doing the offline defrag and the system not re-mounting.
Exchange 2003 Standard Edition has an Information Store limit of 75GB (18GB by default, up to 75GB by changing a registry setting suppored by Microsoft). The Enterprise Edition essentially has no size limit.

Offline Defrags should not be considered a maintenance routine. Exchange is not concerned with the physical size of the database files, but instead with the logical size (physical minus whitespace).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to gpastore)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Defragment doesn’t affect Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter