• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Remove Exchange 5.5 transaction log files

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Remove Exchange 5.5 transaction log files Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Remove Exchange 5.5 transaction log files - 8.Apr.2010 8:50:20 AM   
ccc

hi

We have Exchange 5.5 installed on NT 4.0 SP6a.

I'd like to remove transaction log files according to:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B240145&x=8&y=8

but howto find out the exact database name?
Post #: 1
RE: Remove Exchange 5.5 transaction log files - 8.Apr.2010 8:55:31 AM   
zbnet

hang on a minute...

Why are you wanting to manually delete your transaction logs?  Are you in some kind of emergency situation?  Why aren't your backups successfully deleting the transaction logs?  And how come you don't know what your database name is?

(in reply to ccc)
Post #: 2
RE: Remove Exchange 5.5 transaction log files - 8.Apr.2010 10:23:04 AM   
ccc

according to the link above:

For example, run the following command at a command prompt where database_name is the name of the database that you want to examine: eseutil /MH database_nameFor example, to examine the Mailbox Store (Server1) database, typeeseutil /MH "Mailbox Store (Server1).edb”

I'd like to delete because the C:\ partition is full and the backup software seems to not deleting the transaction logs.

BTW Howto move the transaction logs from C:\ to D:\ partition?

< Message edited by ccc -- 8.Apr.2010 10:28:48 AM >

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 3
RE: Remove Exchange 5.5 transaction log files - 8.Apr.2010 11:08:40 AM   
zbnet

Rather than just deleteing the transaction logs manually, it would be a better solution to fix the problem with your backup, so that it starts deleting the transaction logs again.  How long has the backup been failing for?  How many transaction logs do you have?  And why are the transaction logs on the C drive?  They should be on their own seperate mirrored pair of disks, with nothing else on that volume...

Running ESEUTIL is not recommended unless you really have a good idea about what you are doing and what the repercussions of running it will be.  Otherwise you can make the problem worse.  Really.

(in reply to ccc)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Remove Exchange 5.5 transaction log files Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter