• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Recovering Exchange 2007

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Recovering Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recovering Exchange 2007 - 2.May2010 7:44:34 AM   
omer

hi,
I have a single exchange 2007 server in our domain which had all the roles and the databse in it, and suddenly the hard drive crashed,so i have sent the drive for recovery to a company which could take a while,I understand that i have to recover the server with the recovery switch with the /DoNotStartTransport syntax, am i correct so far? my question is what about the database? i have to create a new databse and let users work with it? if so then how do i merge the old database with the new one after it has been recovered? I have 10 users using ost and rest of the users are on pst files. any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Recovering Exchange 2007 - 4.May2010 10:45:11 AM   
adrian.pettitt

I would move-mailbox -configurationonly as this will stop the system trying to move unavailable data and then move your mailboxes into a new database. In theory your OSTs should just sync the data back up to Exchange.
You can import-mailbox to import a PST, but you have to do this on a machine with Outlook on and Exchange tools. Or users could just drag and drop.

If you still want to recover you would have to set the the recovered you will probably need to create an RSG and a new DB with the same name as the one you have had recovered and use DB portability. ALthough I am a bit unsure about that.

Adrian

(in reply to omer)
Post #: 2
RE: Recovering Exchange 2007 - 4.May2010 12:45:24 PM   
omer

I created a new db and tried to move a mailbox to it, but it stops with an error saying the orgonal databse is offline so i cudnt move it, any idea what shud i do? if moving the mailboxes to another db and synching restores all my data then i wont prefer to wait for the hdd since its taking a long time, thanks.

(in reply to adrian.pettitt)
Post #: 3
RE: Recovering Exchange 2007 - 5.May2010 2:50:49 AM   
adrian.pettitt

I am a little confused by getting two replies to my post. One private and one via forum.
The -configurationonly switch will stop the error you are getting.

Did you also say you rebuilt the server? You can still use the move-mailbox -configuration only to move users into new DB.
WRT OST they should sync up the data that they had already synced down, you would not get everything back, the latest items would be missing. You should still have everything in your queue that has been undeliverable as long as you did not rebuild your hub server.
Have you any type of backup of the database?
In which case use an RSG.

Adrian

(in reply to omer)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Recovering Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter