• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook 2010 connection problem

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Outlook 2010 connection problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook 2010 connection problem - 9.May2010 6:31:19 PM   
peteekp

I've been running Exchange 2010 for a month or so now, without any problems. Outlook 2007 connects fine, and I can get web access.

Yesterday, I installed Outlook 2010. Now, my old profile left over from Outlook 2007 seemed to work fine, until I try to send an email. If I type in an email address, subject etc and click send, it says "The operation failed". Down in the bottom right, it says "Connected to Microsoft Exchange".

If I reply to a message, I get the error "The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. Cannot resolve recipient".

So, I tried to create a new profile. When I do this, it fails to resolve the mailbox and server name. I can ping the server name fine. On another computer, I can still connect fine using Outlook 2007 from inside and outside the network.

Any ideas? Why should Outlook 2007 still work, yet Outlook 2010 doesn't?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook 2010 connection problem - 10.May2010 5:06:39 PM   
peteekp

Not to worry - found the solution. The exchange server wasn't set as a Global Catalogue. Once I changed that, it all started working again.

(in reply to peteekp)
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook 2010 connection problem - 14.May2010 5:05:53 AM   
rishishah

An exchange server does NOT need to be a GC... it just needs access to a GC. So it seems your exchange server could not find the GC you already had. I take it that you have a seperate active directory/GC server?

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to peteekp)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook 2010 connection problem - 14.May2010 7:32:28 AM   
peteekp

That is correct. I had one 2008 server with Exchange 2007, and to upgrade decided to install a virtual machine with 2008/Exchange 2010, before then removing Exchange 2007.

So, if it doesn't need to be a GC, what else might I have missed?

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 4
RE: Outlook 2010 connection problem - 1.Nov.2010 11:15:10 AM   
Tras2

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading Exchange from 2007 to 2010 and I'm having the same problem. Outlook 2007 clients are able to connect without issue but Outlook 2010 get the same error message as the OP.

Autodiscover gives the right details and the mail profile on the client has the correct server (the CAS Array address).

Looking at the netstat info, the client makes connections to the CAS on port 135, but never tries to connect to the static RPC ports i've setup (31337 for RPC, 31338 for Address Book) Outlook 2007 clients do. I'm stumped.

Basic Details of the environment:-
2xHT,CA servers running Exchange 2010 SP1 UR1 (Server 2008 R2)
2xMBX servers running Exchange 2010 SP1 UR1 (Server 2008 R2)

(in reply to peteekp)
Post #: 5
RE: Outlook 2010 connection problem - 1.Nov.2010 12:13:54 PM   
de.blackman

Peteekp,

Running Exchange on a domain controller is NOT recommended at all (yes, Microsoft will support you but you are guaranteed to face a number of issues!). I would highly recommend to setup a new standalone Exchange server and migrate everything to it, then uninstall Exchange from the domain controller (running DCPromo to demote the server is not supported because it is running Exchange)!

When you install Exchange on a domain controller (as you did), the Exchange application will detect itself as a DC and will not use any other domain controller, so that means the server must be a GC as well!

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Tras2)
Post #: 6
RE: Outlook 2010 connection problem - 1.Nov.2010 1:18:37 PM   
Tras2

de.blackman,

Thanks for your reply. In my case Exchange is not on a DC. Separately, I have 2 DCs in the site, both Server 2003 R2 and both GCs, dedicated to just being DCs. The domain and forest are both 2003 Native mode

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Outlook 2010 connection problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter