• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Earthlink blocking mail - mismatched rDNS

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Earthlink blocking mail - mismatched rDNS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Earthlink blocking mail - mismatched rDNS - 21.May2010 5:11:55 PM   
arog73

Mails from one of my customers sent to any earthlink address is being blocked by earthlink. I've followed earthlink's automated procedures to solve the problem, but that hasn't worked. I've verified that my customer's mail server is not black listed anywhere, is not an open relay, and has a valid PTR record.

My customer's mail server is: mail.thenorrisgroup.com
IP address of mail server is: 71.83.80.196

I just heard from an earthlink level 3 tech support guy that the problem is that when earthlink (or anyone else for that matter) receives an email from someone at the norris group (my customer), the mail header "RECEIVED:" section indicates that the mail is from "71-83-80-194.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com" and not mail.thenorrisgroup.com. The issue is plainly obvious...the SMTP connection is coming from their firewall (which is 71.83.80.194) and not the mail server (which is 71.83.80.196.

Right now, there is a 'A' record for mail.thenorrisgroup.com -> 71.83.80.196. The ISP (Charter) has created a PTR record for 71.83.80.196 -> mail.thenorrisgroup.com. This can all be verified at any dns testing site.

So...what do I need to do to fix this?

Do I need to change the 'A' record for mail.thenorrisgroup.com from 71.83.80.196 to 71.83.80.194? If so, then I'll need to have the ISP change the PTR too (obviously). I will also need to add a firewall rule which says to forward all incoming traffic on port 25 to the mail server's internal ip.

Another option would be to create an 'A' called smtp.thenorrisgroup.com and resolve that to 71.83.80.194 (the firewall). Then, have the ISP (Charter) create a PTR record to make 71.83.80.194 resolve to smtp.thenorrisgroup.com. THEN, I could update the helo response in the SMTP Virtual Connector to reflect smtp.thenorrisgroup.com instead of mail.thenorrisgroup.com. This would make the PTR, the Received, and the helo all match.

Problem is...the mx record says that the mail server for thenorrisgroup.com is mail.thenorrisgroup.com and not smtp.thenorrisgroup.com. So...maybe I could then just add a CNAME record for smtp.thenorrisgroup.com which would just point back to mail.thenorrisgroup.com

So...what would happen if I then changed the MX record to smtp.thenorrisgroup.com?

Diagram of my customer's network:

ISP - 71.83.80.193
|
TheNorrisGroup's Firewall (Cisco 871) - 71.83.80.194
Internal network gateway ip - 192.168.10.1
|
Network Swtich
||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Mail Server - Exchange 2003 (exchange.norris.local & internal ip of 192.168.10.10)
external 'A' record of mail.thenorrisgroup.com which resolves to 71.83.80.196

Any suggestions?

Aaron Rogers
Inland Empire Computing
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Earthlink blocking mail - mismatched rDNS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter