• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Newbie seeking help - WA, BB, Exchange ETC

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Newbie seeking help - WA, BB, Exchange ETC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie seeking help - WA, BB, Exchange ETC - 24.May2010 2:30:34 PM   
zstopa

Greetings,

I'm coming into this post as a non power user of exchange, however, if given the right guidance I can usually figure out most things hardware and software related.

This whole enchilada revolves around helping my gf simplify her life with Outlook, and to use a blackberry correctly.

Right now she uses 2003 web access for work (she works remotely 100% of the time) and has that synched up to her BB as well. Of course add in gmail, yahoo mail, and a real estate email account provided by godaddy as part of registering a domain name.

Her configs are a mess and her data life is a disaster.

My goal is to help her by installing outlook 2003 or later full client on her laptop, correctly configuring it to sync up with her work account, which is an exchange account, or I have assumed. More on that in a moment. Then of course add in the pop3's for gmail yahoo and anything else. This way, unless I'm missing something, one calendar can be used (outlook) instead of piecemealing between gmail and yahoo (doesn't use a calendar with owa 2003 - don't know if there even is one).

So I start the install and config of outlook 2003 full client on her machine and of course I don’t know the name of her exchange server or her user name. I am aware that her username and password credentials can be vastly different.

So I ask her boss for this information, explaining what I am trying to do and he writes back:

“We don’t use an exchange server. We use a POP3. The incoming and outgoing mail servers are both set for mail.xxxxxxxx.com”.

This really threw me. If you are using OWA, does there have to be exchange lying around in the weeds somewhere?? Can a company only use OWA without exchange residing on a server somewhere? And if so how do I go about configuring Outlook? Everything is just a pop3?

Thanks for your time!
Post #: 1
RE: Newbie seeking help - WA, BB, Exchange ETC - 24.May2010 2:42:41 PM   
mark@mvps.org

If you've seen it and it actually says "Outlook Web Access" then yes, there is an Exchange server somewhere. No way of avoiding that.
However, there's no need to use MAPI; POP3/IMAP are fine - if you're insane.
By all means configure the POP3 settings using the same URL as for "OWA" (If indeed it is OWA) but obviously leave off the /exchange. I would imagine, well, maybe I wouldn't! that it's POPS so try 995 rather than 110.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to zstopa)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie seeking help - WA, BB, Exchange ETC - 24.May2010 2:47:50 PM   
uemurad

Typically your questions would be better answered on a forum dedicated to client-side issues. This site caters to people administrating MS-Exchange environments.

That said, some of what you ask touches on back-end concepts, so I will answer from that perspective.

OWA (Outlook Web Access) is a web-based client to connect to a Microsoft Exchange server. It does require an Exchange server at the other end. When you connect, it should identify itself clearly as Microsoft Outlook Web Access.

Outlook Express is a version of Microsoft Outlook that does not necessarily have to connect to an Exchange server and can be used to access other mail systems.

Microsoft Outlook wants to connect to Exchange, but can be configured to connect to other mail systems. If you are attempting to connect to Exchange remotely using Outlook, it requires that Exchange be specifically configured to allow it (disallowed by default).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to zstopa)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Newbie seeking help - WA, BB, Exchange ETC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter