• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Public Folder permissions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Public Folder permissions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Public Folder permissions - 8.Jun.2010 2:07:09 PM   
5paack

Good afternoon,
My environment is Microsoft Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 Std. Server SP2.
I am hoping to find an answer to an issue that started a week or so ago involving copying contacts from a personal folder to the public folders.

My company is using a Public Folder as a central repository for all company contacts, the permissions on this folder are everyone review and four users owner. The owners have card scanners and they are responsible for all contacts added to the system, recently the owners have not been able to copy the contacts that are scanned into their personal contacts into the public folder.
The owners can add, edit and delete but they can’t copy to the folder, I have removed all client permissions from the folder in the Exchange System Manager and I reapplied them from Outlook but the problem persists.
This is a recent issue; the owners previously were able to copy these contacts.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Post #: 1
RE: Public Folder permissions - 8.Jun.2010 3:59:05 PM   
uemurad

You left out an important bit of information. When copying fails, what error message appears?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to 5paack)
Post #: 2
RE: Public Folder permissions - 8.Jun.2010 4:11:30 PM   
5paack

Very true,
My appologies.
The error I recieve is "Cannot copy the items. Cannot complete the copy operation. The items may have been moved or deleted, or you may not have sufficient permissions."
I believe I have the permissions to complete this copy, I am one of the owners and I am a member of the Domain Admins group.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Public Folder permissions - 15.Jun.2010 11:32:06 AM   
5paack

I have noticed after some investigation that the administrative rights for my account on the public folder in question are set to deny in the advanced settings tab, I have tried to remove the permissions entry from the folder but I receive an error message stating that the permissions are set and inherited from a parent folder and must be removed from there.
I have checked the top level folder and removed the inherit permissions tab but nothing has changed.
All the subfolders under the top level “Public Folders” still have the deny “Special Permissions” and I can’t remove them.
Am I looking in the right spot to resolve this issue?

(in reply to 5paack)
Post #: 4
RE: Public Folder permissions - 23.Jun.2010 2:33:40 PM   
5paack

I have found the problem on the Public Folder in question.

One of the Owners of the folder changed the default form used by the folder and checked "Only forms listed above" in the forms tab, then the form was then changed on each contact in the folder by the same user.
It wasn’t until the form was changed on the contact we were trying to add that the system would allow it to be copied.

I kept the form that the user had created but changed the "Use only" back to "Any form". There was one caveat to this though, when any new contacts are copied from another user’s folder it has the default form. I found a tool that will convert all the new contacts to the new form before they are copied into the Public Folder.

If anyone needs a tool to convert these forms in mass just email and I will send it to you..

(in reply to 5paack)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Public Folder permissions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter