• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Rolling migration questions 2003 to 2003

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Rolling migration questions 2003 to 2003 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rolling migration questions 2003 to 2003 - 17.Jun.2010 1:34:32 PM   
TankerWade

Hello all,

We are set to begin a rolling migration to move a EX2003 server to an EX2007 server on the same hardware.

My questions are for the first phase whereby we are going to set up a temporary 2003 server and move the mailboxes to it. (we are then going to install Win08/Ex07 on the existing box and migrate the mailboxes back)

First question -

The mailbox database is 70 gbs. I know I will generate a large amount of transaction logs to move the mailboxes. My original plan was to take a backup midway through the operation to clear them, but would I be better off to turn on circular logging for the move?

Second question -

I have a number of Iphones using Activesync to account for - when the mailboxes have moved to the temp EX2003 server and the HTTPS mapping is redirected to the temp server, will the Iphones connect seamlessly? Or will we need to touch them and reconfigure them?

Thank you in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Rolling migration questions 2003 to 2003 - 17.Jun.2010 1:43:08 PM   
mark@mvps.org

If you've got the space to generate a good number of logs and also the time to do some backups in the midst of your migration onto different tapes or backup files then I wouldn't go with the circ logging route.

Well, if you're mapping to the same URL and the same cert name you're most likely going to be ok. What I would have done in advance would be to implement a separate CAS and set the URL and cert to go there.

Is there going to be an interim time when users are on both or are you in for a long weekend of speedy changes?

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to TankerWade)
Post #: 2
RE: Rolling migration questions 2003 to 2003 - 17.Jun.2010 1:55:51 PM   
TankerWade

Hi Mark,

First off - Thank you for the speedy reply!

The plan is to migrate the mailboxes from the existing EX2003 server to a temporary EX2003 server next Tuesday night starting at 5pm. If I can move them all in on e night that will be great. If not I will move the remaining ones the following night.

The temporary server is already built into the domain and org. I will follow your recommendation and skip the circular logging and go with a usb drive and an info store backup to clear the logs. I have 160 gbs of total space for about 70gbs of mailbox store, so you can see why I want to keep an eye on the logs.

The plan from there is to turn the existing box around a week later to Win08/Ex07. If the users are smooth on the temp box we may length that time frame out for more planning (or we might do it in a darn hurry if there are problems!)

A temporary CAS server is not in the budget/timeframe so I will have to import the cert remap the url and hope for not to much reconfiguration.

Thanks!

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Rolling migration questions 2003 to 2003 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter