• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

IMS will not shutdown

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> IMS will not shutdown Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IMS will not shutdown - 7.Jul.2010 2:53:50 PM   
stgislander

I just had to perform an offline restore on Exchange Server 5.5. After successful use of the eseutil and isinteg utilities, I started Exchange Server, and confirmed all services were running and there were no error messages in the event logs.

Then while attempting to send and received emails in Outlook 2002, the RPC Cancel Request dialog box popped-up and never went away. This same thing was noticed on all user accounts.

Since there were still no error messages in the server event logs, I decided to run some additional offline checks. When I attempted to manually stop the Exchanges services, I discovered that I was unable to stop the Internet Mail Service service.

Any suggestions to help me troubleshoot before I attempt another restore?
Post #: 1
RE: IMS will not shutdown - 13.Jul.2010 11:43:26 AM   
stgislander

Just wanted everyone to know that the problem is solved. A former network administrator pointed out to me that one if the user's mailboxes had gotten so large, that it could be the cause a host of strange problems.

After moving most of his messages off the server into multiple .pst files, performing a Clean Mailbox operation, defraging the information store, and a backup, Exchange started up with no errors. Best of all, the IMS shuts down as expected.

(in reply to stgislander)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> IMS will not shutdown Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter