• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

To /disasterrecovery or not

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> To /disasterrecovery or not Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
To /disasterrecovery or not - 8.Jul.2010 5:20:49 AM   
Rice

I'm looking for a little bit of guidance

In one of our offices we had a DC with Exchange 2003 installed on it, which slowly died. I managed to get an old server to the site, install Exchange and move all the mailboxes over before it keeled over completely. This has been running fine for about a month and (touch wood) continues to.
The dead server has been fixed and rebuilt and is ready to have Exchange reinstalled and the mailboxes moved back across.

My question is this, do i need to reinstall exchange with the /DisasterRecovery switch or not. I intend to move the mailboxes manually rather than back up and restore the databases (its only about 20 users and no more than 20GB of mail) to a clean database. I've read the excellent guide on this site for using /disasterrecovery and am prepared to go this route if i need to.

Many thanks in advance for any advice
Post #: 1
RE: To /disasterrecovery or not - 8.Jul.2010 9:47:11 AM   
uemurad

Since you migrated all the mailboxes and presumably removed the old server from the Exchange Organization, you should do exactly the same thing again. Build a new Exchange server in the Organization and migrate the mailboxes. When that is complete, turn off the temporary Exchange server for a while until you are confident everything is working, then turn it on and remove it from the Exchange Organization and retire it.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Rice)
Post #: 2
RE: To /disasterrecovery or not - 8.Jul.2010 10:18:50 AM   
Rice

Many thanks for your reply

Typically things are never that simple. Because of the state of the server, the technician didn't give us a chance to uninstall Exchange. The server was in such a state that windows wasn't in a usable state. It was a very lucky that we were able to move the mailboxes at all. So effectively it is a dead server/exchange installation.

The server that has been rebuilt is called exactly the same as the old server

Does any of this information this change your answer?

(in reply to Rice)
Post #: 3
RE: To /disasterrecovery or not - 8.Jul.2010 10:36:59 AM   
uemurad

quote:

Does any of this information this change your answer?
Not really. You'll probably be better off rebuilding the server with a new name so that you can use ADSIedit after re-migration to clear out any information about the old server. There are articles about doing that - just use your favorite search engine.

I'd recommend that you download/run the Best Practices Analyzer before and after bringing the new server online. I'm not expecting anything odd to show up, it's just a good idea to do it.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Rice)
Post #: 4
RE: To /disasterrecovery or not - 8.Jul.2010 10:43:46 AM   
Rice

Many thanks

The EXBPA is something i run as a rule anyway, and i'll see if that shows any issues.

Thank you once again.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> To /disasterrecovery or not Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter