• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Redundant Edge transport role ???

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Redundant Edge transport role ??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Redundant Edge transport role ??? - 12.Jul.2010 5:03:43 PM   
andrija.panic

Hi,

I have been searching for days to find the right way (explanation or step by step guide) to implement Edge server redundancy in a single AD-site. I do understand and know how to use cloning scripts for exporting and importing edge transport server settings, and how to use 2 MX recodrs with DNS Round Robin, but how should I implement EdgeSync from HUB server to two EDGE server (in internal network I have 2 CAS servers in CAS ARRAY, 2 MBX+HT in DAG and 2 DCs.) - maybe to implement edgesync from HT1 to EDGE1, and from HT2 to EDGE2... I have read 2 complete Exchange 2010 books, tons of articles, but still can't find the right way. My goal is to make a fully redundant enviroement.

I have 2 physical server with Hyper-V R2 in the followinf arrangement:
Hyper-V 1: DC1, CAS1, MBX+HT1, EDGE1
Hyper-V 2: DC2, CAS2, MBX+HT2, EDGE2

so if one physical or virtual server dies, I'm still up and running with no problems (DCs are redundant by it's design, CAs made redundant with CAS array, HT is redundant by it's design, MBX maade redundant by using DAGs), and still looking for Edge to make redundant, with edge sync...

any help would be really appriciated, since I have to finish my project in 4 days :(

Cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Redundant Edge transport role ??? - 13.Jul.2010 2:34:09 AM   
ismail.mohammed

You need to subscribe an Edge Transport server to an AD site and not to a Hub Transport server in an AD site. As you know that Hub Transport servers have resiliency and load balancing mechanisms built-in, you do not need to perform any additional configuration in order to archive resiliency and load balancing in an AD site. When you have at least two Hub Transport servers in each AD site, an Edge Transport server is clever enough to deliver the message to one of the other Hub Transport servers should the first one contacted be too busy or down. This happens in a round robin fashion. More specifically, each Hub Transport server in the AD site to which an Edge Transport server is subscribed is listed as smart host for the send connector (known as the inbound Send connector) that is created between the Edge Transport server and the respective AD site.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/planning-architecture/uncovering-exchange-2007-edge-transport-server-part6.html

(in reply to andrija.panic)
Post #: 2
RE: Redundant Edge transport role ??? - 13.Jul.2010 4:31:03 AM   
andrija.panic

Thanx for the reply. I have seen this article on msexchange.org a few days ago. Does this mean that I should make an edge subscription for every edge transport server in AD site (total of 2 edge subscribtion)??? I'm concerned about the edgesync process to work from AD to both Edge Servers...

I'l give it a try today, but still not shure if this is the right way.

Thanx again Ismail

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Redundant Edge transport role ??? - 13.Jul.2010 4:39:12 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

Try this and let me know the output because even i have not came in tihs sort of scenario.

If you possible try this option and any issue drop the concern... i will check that for you

Post #: 4
RE: Redundant Edge transport role ??? - 15.Jul.2010 7:44:01 AM   
andrija.panic

Hi there,

just to let you now that i made 2 edge sunscriptions(EDGE1 and EDGE2 servers) to the sam AD site and everything wokrs normaly. When one Edge is down, the other one sends message to internet, and also receives (2 MX record in dns and so on).

For some stupid reason, I thought that if you subscribe the second Edge server to an AD site, it would invalidate the first edge subscription - don't ask me why I was thinking this way.

So essentily: 2 CAS in an array, 2 HTs, 2 DAG members, and 2 EDGE servers and you have a complete redundant infrstructure for a single site (maybe another internet link for redundancy...) although a little bit expensive :)

Cheers,

Andrija

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 5
RE: Redundant Edge transport role ??? - 15.Jul.2010 10:31:50 AM   
ismail.mohammed

Gr8.. and cool that you found the way

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Redundant Edge transport role ??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter