• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2003 to exchange 2010

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 - 28.Jul.2010 6:16:02 PM   
jdflory

Hello everyone,

This question might be redundant on this forum but i really need to get a sanity check from some experts on my plans for an Exchange 2010 rollout.  Below is our topology:

175 maiboxes (avg mailbox is 2 GB)
2003 AD native
Existing FE and BE exchange 2003 SP2 on internal network (no clustering)
Access to OWA, OMA, Active Sync and RPC over HTTP happens via ISA 2006 on our DMZ.
We use Windows mobile and Iphones (no BES servers)
Wildcard cert on ISA and internal servers.
SMTP mailflow comes through a mail security service and is locked down to their IP's
Large public folders

New servers are two highend blade servers with data hosted on fiber channel SAN.  Our plan is the use DAG for redunancy and from what i understand you can now mix the mailbox role with other rolls.  Since  we only have two servers I was thinking that we could have one server with CAS, HT, and MB roll and the second server would have CAS, HT, and MB roll as well so that if one server went down we would have complete redunancy for the other.  Is this possible with Exchange 2010? 

From what i have read it sounds like co-existence with EX 2003 is alot more steps so if possible doing this over a weekend would be best.  We have a 175 MB's all around 2 GB.  Moving this many mailboxes in EX 2003 would take alot time. Has the mailbox move operation improved in terms of speed of moves?

I noticed the IIS directory structure is different then in previous versions of exchange.  What do i need to do to ISA 2006 to get this to work?

Please let me know if i am missing anything or if you have any other recommendations please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 - 1.Aug.2010 10:37:34 PM   
Paul Cunningham

Hi,

Complete redundancy in that topology would require a hardware load balancer as well.  The Client Access Server role now handles ALL client connectivity (including Outlook MAPI requests).  You can use Windows NLB to provide HA for the CAS pair but not when co-existing with the Mailbox Server role configured with DAGs.

The reason is that DAGs use an underlying Windows Failover Cluster and that cannot co-exist with NLB.  If the CAS/HT were separate to the MB servers you could use NLB, otherwise HW load balancer is your only option to get full redundancy at all layers of Exchange.

For your other questions:
- mailbox move speeds are constrained mostly by the speed of the source server hardware (mainly the disks).  500mb to 3Gb per hour is the range I tend to see, but for planning purposes I would not assume more than 1Gb/hr unless testing has proven it will run faster.

- ISA 2006 with latest Service Pack can publish Exchange 2010. You will simply need to run the new publishing rule wizard and choose the Exchange 2007 mail server publishing rule as the type.

Hope that helps.

Paul Cunningham
Exchange Server MVP

Exchange 2010 Training

(in reply to jdflory)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter