• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Need some advise please

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Need some advise please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need some advise please - 2.Sep.2010 10:16:10 AM   
ouroboro

Currently we have Exchange 2010 (standard version) installed on a single Windows 2008R2 (standard version) machine. We have 50 users by the way. We need to configure some type of clustering/high availability. Can this be done by adding another server with Windows 2008R2 (standard version) and then install Exchange 2010 (standard version) on it and use the DAG method? If so or if not, can you advise me what you would do to get this to work? If I need to take one server down, then I need the other server to take over all mail operations.

Also, does anyone know if installing Exchange with the same serial key will work or will I have to purchase another Exchange 2010 software license? I remember for windows 2003 server and other O/S you could get away with 2 installs before the serial won't work anymore. Will the standard versions of wondows 2008R2 and Exchange be ok?
Post #: 1
RE: Need some advise please - 2.Sep.2010 11:42:29 AM   
John Weber

Windows enterprise server is needed to support DAG. The underlying cluster pieces are not present in Windows Server Standard. Exchange 2010 Standard will do DAG, but you will be limited to 5 databases - inluding public folders if you use them.

You will need an Exchange server license for each server that has Exchange 2010 components. If you build a UM role on separate hardware, and have another with a mailbox, cas, ht setup, then you have a need for two licenses.

John Weber [Lync MVP] http://tsoorad.blogspot.com

(in reply to ouroboro)
Post #: 2
RE: Need some advise please - 2.Sep.2010 3:34:29 PM   
ouroboro

We're only using 1 database at the moment. So, no matter what, we're going to need 2 copies of Windows Server 2010 Enterprise and then 1 more copy of Exchange 2010 Standard. At that point, I can do what I was asking for?

We're talking about $2,400 for each copy of 2008 R2 Enterprise, so $4,800 and another copy of Exchange 2010 Standard.

When using DAG, isn't the DAG an IP address? If one of the 2 servers goes down, how does the other one know to take over and how does the employees Outlook know to switch servers? Or is is that the DAG IP is the one their Outlook is looking for which will always return a result as long as one of the servers is up?

Thanks!

(in reply to John Weber)
Post #: 3
RE: Need some advise please - 20.Sep.2010 7:22:14 AM   
ekoutanov

Has anyone tried (Gridlock) with MS Exchange?

(in reply to ouroboro)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Need some advise please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter