• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Installing second exchange 2007 server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Installing second exchange 2007 server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installing second exchange 2007 server - 19.Sep.2010 11:33:12 AM   
StevenH

Hi,

Having a few issues with my current exchange installation. Basically a bodged SP2 upgrade (it hung on 'Hub Transport - Configuring Performance Counters' - this has resulted in OWA/ActiveSync/POP3, etc no longer working. I presume due to the fact that it reached a certain stage in the upgrade. All other functionality appears fine for the moment.

Unfourtunatly I cannot take the server down for the duration of this week, and it is the only server in the organisation.

I want to install a second exchange 2007 server, and have this at first provide the CAS role (so webmail, activesync, etc) and then slowly migrate the mailboxes to it as well. Reason being is the old server also has a couple of intermittent problems as well so now is a good time to move.

The current server is sitting on SP1 and holds all roles.

Can I install a new 2007 SP2 server into the same site/org ? Can I install all the roles?

Is there any way I can configure requests for CAS to be proxied to this server?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Installing second exchange 2007 server - 24.Sep.2010 6:01:11 PM   
Pocket

Exchange 2007 is designed to support multiple roles in the same AD site for redundancy. There is nothing to stop you from installing another CAS, hub transport or mailbox server in the same AD site.

We've run into some issues where OWA has stopped working with different revisions of the CAS role in different AD sites. However, I don't think this would cause you a problem if both the CAS servers were in the same site, as the CAS server with the later service pack should be able to talk directly to the mailbox server.

My only reservation with doing this would be making further changes in a broken environment. It's not always possible, but I would try and resolve the issues with the existing Exchange 2007 installation before introducing a new server.

(in reply to StevenH)
Post #: 2
RE: Installing second exchange 2007 server - 27.Sep.2010 3:29:46 AM   
adrian.pettitt

In short, you CAN run multiple SPs in the same domain. Not recommended for long periods but you can. If you have mutiple servers you will run in to this as you upgrade one, make sure it is working then upgrade the next.
You do need to try and fix the underlying issue. Use your Exchange setup logs to see where it died. Usually found in c:\Exchangesetuplogs folder.

I have found issues with some of the web based functions during upgrades of SPs. Have you checked that your IIS application pools are started?

Adrian

(in reply to StevenH)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Installing second exchange 2007 server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter