• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Migrating to Exchange 2007

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Migrating to Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Migrating to Exchange 2007 - 22.Sep.2010 1:21:54 PM   
tim.elliott

Hello all,

I am getting ready to move to Exchange 2007 from 2003. I am planning to install exchange on a Windows 2008 member server and have found sufficient documentation to make this work. My question is with the domain. Currently I am running a 2003 domain and plan to upgrade to 2008, but have found info that says Exchange 2007 needs to be install on a 2003 domain (schema changes for Exchange 2007 are not compatible with win2008 schema). In know that Exchange 2007 has sp's that now make it more compatible with Windows 2008, but does this also extend to the domain as well. Should I install Exchange 2007 before I upgrade my domain? Also if upgrading to a 2008 domain is ok should I go right to R2?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appropriated.
Tim
Post #: 1
RE: Migrating to Exchange 2007 - 24.Sep.2010 5:37:35 PM   
Pocket

Exchange 2007 will run on Server 2008. If you want to run Exchange 2007 on a Server 2008 R2 member server, you will need to install Exchange 2007 Service Pack 3.

If you're installing Exchange 2007 with SP1 and Update Rollup 9 or later, you can run your domain and forest at 2008 R2 functional level. See "Supported Active Directory Environments" in the following article. Obviously it would make sense to install Exchange 2007 SP3 if it's a new installation.

Exchange Server Supportability Matrix

Personally I would get AD to the point you want it before doing the Exchange installation. But that's just personal preference. Providing you install the Exchange schema updates before installing Exchange, I'm not sure it would matter whether you raised the functional levels before or after the installation.

(in reply to tim.elliott)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Migrating to Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter