Importing existing emails into an archive database (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Compliance

Nonapeptide -> Importing existing emails into an archive database (29.Sep.2010 6:00:30 PM)

Due to a recent change in a certain industry sector in America, one of my clients needs to start archiving all emails that come through their email server. Fortunately it's a very small organization so I've merely turned on journaling for the main mailbox database on their Exchange 2007 server (SBS 2008, to be precise).

However, they desired to archive all of their existing emails as well as the ones going forward from the day that journaling was turned on. I thought about running a script that would import all emails from each mailbox into the journal database. Honestly, I couldn't think of any other solution. I've looked at export-mailbox and then import-mailbox, but I don't want mailboxes, I just want the message within each mailbox.

Any suggestions or pointers as I continue on this path? Thanks!

--Wesley

mark@mvps.org -> RE: Importing existing emails into an archive database (29.Sep.2010 6:06:31 PM)

The import-mailbox is also for items. You just have to specify the parameters.

Nonapeptide -> RE: Importing existing emails into an archive database (2.Oct.2010 5:47:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark@mvps.org

The import-mailbox is also for items. You just have to specify the parameters.
Yes, true.

It seems that I was hoping for a more elegant way of migrating messages from one mailbox to another rather than dumping items to a PST with export-mailbox and then consuming them with import-mailbox. Oh well. It'll have to do. ;)

Page: [1]