• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP queue backing up and wont go down

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> SMTP queue backing up and wont go down Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 7.Oct.2010 11:24:02 AM   
ashp

Hi guys,

Sorry this is so long winded, but please bear with me..

OK, so I have exchange 2003 running in a small office with 4 users.  someone sent out an email with a 3MB attachment to about 4,000 people on Monday..

By Wednesday it occured that emails that were being sent out by people in the office after the mass mail on Monday were not being received.

I have had a look at the exchange queue on Wednesday afternoon (yesterday) and there were still just over 1,000 emails left in the queue. it was the end of the day so I went home expecting the queue to have cleared itself overnight, but when i checked again this morning it was still over 1,000.

I have just looked again now and its still at 850.

I have had a look  on th net at how to clear the queue but it appears that you can only clear the entire queue, not just delete the emails from the mass mail on monday.

Also it is worrying that the queue has only gone down by 150 in the last 24 hrs.

I need to either:
a) find a way of filtering the messages in the queue and deleting the remaining ones from the mass mail (they are all from the same sender with the same subject)
b) work out why the exchange server has sent so few in the last 24 hrs

I have used the Microsoft Exchange Troubleshooting Tool and it has suggested that the SMTP FQDN does not match the servers name, however I do not believe this to be relavent as the server is still sending emails out (albeit very slowly..)

Does anyone have any ideas or would be able to point me in the right direction. Please advise if any further info is required

many thanks in advance

ash
Post #: 1
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 7.Oct.2010 11:45:50 AM   
John Weber

How big is your outbound pipe? 1000 3MB attachments is 3GB. While not a large number, this could be significant if you have a small pipe.

Who are the recipients annd what are their pipe sizes?. Maybe you have one stuck. You can look in the queue and remove the ones that are delayed or are in retry. Perhaps you could just nuke one or two and free things up.

< Message edited by John Weber -- 7.Oct.2010 11:47:45 AM >

John Weber [Lync MVP] http://tsoorad.blogspot.com

(in reply to ashp)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 7.Oct.2010 12:00:14 PM   
ashp

John,

many thanks for your response.

Whilst 3GB is not massive, the broadband connection to this office is only 512Kbps upstream, so even running at full potential this is quite a bit ask.

The probelem is as i mentioned above, that the rate which emails seem to be sending has dropped massivley (only 150 in the last 24 hrs)..

Recipients are lots of other large and small offices across the UK so their download speeds will vary but imagine they will all be broadband and larger than 512Kbps so should not be an issue..

There were only 2 in 'retry' and none marked 'delayed' - i have deleted the ones in retry..

Do you think the DNS error could have anything to do with it or would emails simply not send if this was the case?

Thanks for your help and any other pointers,

ash

(in reply to John Weber)
Post #: 3
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 7.Oct.2010 12:40:34 PM   
ashp

I have just had another look at the queue..

In the main view as I said there were only 2 domains that were in the 'retry' state, however I have started checking some of the domains themselves and when you actually look at the emails queued to a main domain the majority are in retry state, even though the main view shows them as being ready!

Not sure why this is happening, but I just had a thought:

Is there any way that I can get exchange to stop retrying and to delete these emails?

As it is now 3 days since they were first sent I would have thought they should have expired by now but they seem to be stuck in a state of limbo?

cheers

(in reply to ashp)
Post #: 4
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 7.Oct.2010 12:54:17 PM   
uemurad

Does your outbound routing go directly to recipient systems? If so, does Message Tracking indicate that SMTP has taken over the delivery? If so, have you analyzed your SMTP log to see if delivery attempts are being made a failing, or if they are being attempted at all?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to ashp)
Post #: 5
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 7.Oct.2010 1:11:04 PM   
ashp

Uemurad,

Does your outbound routing go directly to recipient systems? - I think so, this is the one and only server on our network and I am pretty sure we dont use our ISP for any email services

If so, does Message Tracking indicate that SMTP has taken over the delivery?
If so, have you analyzed your SMTP log to see if delivery attempts are being made a failing, or if they are being attempted at all?

- I have just enabled the message tracking log and it is filling up very quickly - what do i need to look for?

thanks

PS - I have also noticed that if I delete a message from the queue, stop the SMTP protocol and then restart it, the message reappears in the queue!

< Message edited by ashp -- 7.Oct.2010 1:15:01 PM >

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 7.Oct.2010 2:01:41 PM   
uemurad

Use Message Tracking to determine what Exchange has done with any of the outbound messages you see in the queue. If it says "Message transferred to smtp via ... ", then that means Exchange is done processing and is attempting to send.

At that point, look at the SMTP log to see the communications between your server and the recipient system. You can post the log excerpt if you would like assistance interpreting (not the enter log, just for any one transmission).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to ashp)
Post #: 7
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 7.Feb.2011 7:06:20 PM   
stairs11

Hi ashp

I was wondering if you had any luck resolving your problem. I am currently experiencing exactly the same problem and have so far had no luck in determining the cause.

Alastair

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 7.Feb.2011 10:45:44 PM   
uemurad

Alastair,

Did you read through this thread?  What are your answers to the same questions?  What other information can you add?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to stairs11)
Post #: 9
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 8.Feb.2011 7:49:20 PM   
stairs11

Hi

Firstly thanks for responding so quickly.

The following are the responses to previous questions asked...

How big is your outbound pipe?

512kb not massive, but usually more than enough to cope. In the past. I.e. before this error started occurring everyone in the office was more than capable of sending to 1000+ recipients and this would take no more than an hour. They still also seem to be able to send to around 300 people without problems, but anything over 500 and the issue occurs

Who are the recipients and what are their pipe sizes?. Maybe you have one stuck. You can look in the queue and remove the ones that are delayed or are in retry. Perhaps you could just nuke one or two and free things up.

The recipients are various and all journalists, most of whom i assume have a reasonable pipe size. If i look in the queue, all the recipients left of the same email are always in retry state. To get the queue moving I have always had to remove all the remaining recipients. Sometimes 700+. Sometimes just deleting them from the queue wont remove them but not always. At this point either a restart of the smtp service gets them out or occasionally a complete reboot.

Does your outbound routing go directly to recipient systems?

Outbound routing is via BTís SMTP relay servers mail.btconnect.com

If so, does Message Tracking indicate that SMTP has taken over the delivery?
Message tracking says that the message has been transferred to mail.btconnect.com through smtp. In fact in the latest occurance of this issue this is repeated several times which probably explains the irate call from a journalist saying he had received the same email 8 times. This doesnít always seem to be the case though. Usually it has just been sent once.

If so, have you analyzed your SMTP log to see if delivery attempts are being made a failing, or if they are being attempted at all?

Ive looked through the log and come across the following entry from time to time... 452+Too+many+recipients+
Could this be something to do with it? As far as im aware there is no restriction set for the number of recipients (there certainly never used to be unless one of the various updates has caused something to change). Ill admit that my experience of smtp logging is very limited. Is there anything specific I should look out for?

Thanks for any help you can give

Alastair

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 10
RE: SMTP queue backing up and wont go down - 6.Mar.2011 3:13:17 PM   
uemurad

Alastair,

Sorry - I've been so busy with work that I haven't been visiting MSExchange.org as often as I'd like.

Yes, too many recipients will cause the message to terminate.  How many are you trying to use in a single message?  Can you break up the recipients into multiple messages?  Exchange really isn't meant for bulk-mailing.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to stairs11)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> SMTP queue backing up and wont go down Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter